Sunday 15 May 2011

It's Sunday again.

We had a great play in the arena warming up before riding. Despite two others in there to begin with who usually get B's emotions going. I took the 45' but we didn't need to use it. B usually needs the 45' to allow enough drift in canter on the circle game. Today she offered canter on the 22'!!! Beautiful slow, controlled canter with slack in the rope! Both ways. I have never seen her do this. I have hoped for it and it has been the goal for us for months and months. How great to achieve it today!

Saddling up was fabulous again and B made me laugh when I went to get on. I usually stand on my steps and she positions herself  just right for me to get on. Today she started to set herself up then turned and stood at 90 degrees from me and the steps. Bent her head and looked at me as if to say 'come on then, get on'. I just laughed as I hopped off the steps, moved them nearer to her and got on.

We had a great ride despite me feeling a teeny bit nervous this morning before I got to the yard. I don't know why the fear has arisen again. Perhaps something to do with her trotting too close to Bert on Tuesday. One small threshold leaving the yard and then she was happy and polite the whole way down the mile and 1/4. Both horses ate lots but B was happy to move when I asked. Trotting the mile and 1/4 was relaxed but I noticed B was a bit 'footy'. The ground is very dry and stony so we took it easy. B did the loveliest slow trot and today stayed away from Bert's bum.

We met lots of dogs and people. Two girls especially, who wanted to stroke the horses which we really enjoyed. It's lovely to interact with people and see them enjoy the experience. We got passed by a few horses and B stayed calm. Wow. She is really beginning to understand that this is ok and nothing to be worried about. She let Bert lead most of the way and tried to lead one time but got unconfident. She stopped and waited for Bert to lead then went to really bite him on the face as he passed us. I must remember to give Sandra a savvy string next time we ride together. I don't want to tell B off because I know it's unconfidence and I need to support her but it makes me uncomfortable that she takes it out on him! She did happily take the lead trotting along the old woods because Bert trots quite slowly compared to B lol.

Leaving the woods there was quite a collection of brightly painted kids bikes propped up against the wall in the pub car park which B spooked at. This made her very wary and we had to trot over the road because she needed to move her feet! Once unsaddled B stuck to me while I finished up in the shed etc. I left her happily munching hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment