Sunday 1 May 2011

Another day, different horse.

Last night I intended to just take B for some grass but she had other ideas and wanted to go into the arena. We had another fun play with B wanting to jump over a jump back and forwards and run to me! She just makes me smile all the time.

This morning our play was a little different. It was pretty windy but I like it like that as it keeps me cool. B was ok in walk and trot on circle game but asking her to canter made her explode. She got very unconfident so I took the pressure off and we concentrated on calm walk and trot. After being so RB and emotional this blew her mind when I asked her in and she went introverted for quite a while, needing me to stroke her head and give her a lot of time to rest. 

We ended the play session with some lovely sideways, over a jump towards me - we are working on back up to it afterwards and some lovely fig 8. She was calm and happy and very focused on me.
We saddled up in the courtyard and I got on. Again B couldn't leave the yard so it was jump off, walk across the road again and get on in the pub car park. I was aware that there were a lot of people around, watching us and I guess we do things a little differently to most people. B gave me permission to get on quite happily and we went to find Sandra and Bert. Entering the woods she made to go right but I knew Sandra and Bert would be grazing, waiting for us on the mile and 1/4 so we turned left. 
B was pretty relaxed for some of the ride and happy to follow Bert. She stopped when Bert did but didn't always eat. Some of the time I could hear her breath hurruph, hurruph, hurruph as we walked along. I know she is a little tense when I hear her breathing like that, even though I can feel it in her body too. She got emotional when two riders on ponies came past, so all of our ride was in walk. A bit further on B tensed, head up staring at some people the other side of the fence pulling their golf trolleys. She only relaxed when they walked past and we resumed our walk.
So, a different Breeze this day who needed me to look after her. Sometimes I wonder if on days like this I shouldn't ride. But, she gave me permission and if I only rode in perfect conditions I would never learn to deal with the horse that showed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment