Wednesday 10 November 2010

Well, that was better!

B and I went for the prescribed 15 minutes walk this morning before the great game of dressing her wound. It's a bit like trying to get a dinner jacket on an eel if last night is anything to go by.

Nasty photo of nasty wound...looking a lot better already. Happily Breeze will eat food laced with anti-biotics and 'Bute so getting drugs into her is really easy. Actually it went a lot better and I managed to do it on my own. The only time I got frustrated was when I was trying to wash her wound. Breeze does not like the smell of Hibiscrub so the bucket of wash is too scary for her. We played approach and retreat and eventually B stood still.
We are not yet at the stage where she will stand with her foot on the ground. I still find holding it up a better option but it's a vast improvement on last nights debacle.


I spent ages letting her sniff the bandages, giving her a bit of carrot each time she sniffed it. She even took a rolled up bit of it in her mouth! Cool! She let me smooth the cream into the wound and stood calmly while I wrestled with the Melonin and vet wrap. I am quite proud of my bandaging skills now. I saw Breeze sniffing it when I was doing chores. I wonder how much of it all she understands.

P.s. This evening we had a lovely 15 minutes in the arena. Breeze was very in tune with me and we did a lot of walking around, reverse falling leaf and circle game, all on the 12' line and without a c/s.
Again the washing of 'the leg' was fraught with fear for B. By the time we got to bandaging and putting her stable wraps on she stood with her feet on the ground, chilled and eating haylage. It feels like all of a sudden she trusts me! Fabulous. I have savvy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Breeze has an injury but you are obviously still making progress - well done!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. I went home with a smile on my face instead of worry lines c x

    ReplyDelete