Monday 15 November 2010

Good news from the vet.

Although B's leg still looks gross it is getting there. I spoke to the vet today and she verified that all is going to plan. I am still amazed that a little cut can mean so much. I never stop learning when it comes to horse care. This is her second week of box rest but the good news is I can ride again. Only in walk, the vet said, but that's all we do at the moment anyway lol. She suggested I get some 'Mud socks' and I duly high tailed it to a tack shop after work and got some.

I am to leave the cut open to the air during the day with just the wound cream on it. When she does go out in the field I am to put Vaseline on it to keep the mud off but I think the socks will take care of that.
In the morning I will bandage the wound and use the socks and see if we can go for a walk in the woods and then ride back. We haven't done that in a while. Sadly, my stomach flipped when I thought about riding. Where has that come from again?

I love B's curiosity. While I went to my shed she got the bag of mud socks, picked it up to throw it around a bit and nearly got the socks out of the bag. She spent some time checking out the bag or freshly washed rugs and then later sniffed at the rug I left for her for a long time. I never get bored with her company, she is always interesting to be with and no two days are ever the same.

Breeze stands completely calmly and still for wound care now and I put this down to lots of approach and retreat and treats! I think I am going to regret using treats so much because B has become quite focussed on them. Not in the arena though which is good.

Speaking of which, we had a walk and play in the school and B went introverted a couple of times but it wasn't for long and she blew out each time, then lifted her head up and carried on. We didn't stay long because it was so cold and I was shivering while B ate some grass outside, before we headed back to her stable.

2 comments:

  1. mud socks...aint heard of those before - how much were they dare I ask...
    Good to hear she's on the mend

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I hadn't heard of them either. Turns out they are mostly used to prevent mud fever. They weren't as expensive as I thought they might be at £25 but still, it's a lot for a bit of velcro and 5mm thick neoprene.
    Thanks V, B is on the mend and we went for a walk in the woods, then a ride around the yard as she wasn't ridable in the woods. Neither of us was very confident lol.

    ReplyDelete