Tuesday 9 November 2010

Aaaarrrgghhhhhhh!!!

So. Friday evening Breeze had a scratch on her left foreleg between the hoof and pastern. Sandra had got her in for me as I was back very late from work. Bless her, she had washed the leg for me. I kept an eye on it all weekend and it looked like it was healing ok.

Monday evening and I got B in from the field and looked her over as usual, marveling at how much mud she manages to get smothered over her and in the most amazing places, despite her rug! I was horrified to find blood oozing from the graze...which was now a gaping wound through the whole thickness of skin. I could see right down to the bone underneath! I hosed it for 10 minutes, dried it and put some 'purple spray' on it and a bandage.

This morning things looked bad. Her leg had swollen to the knee and she looked very sorry for herself. Luckily, the vet was coming to give another horse his second flu jab. B was due for hers so I made a quick phone call and a new (to the practice) vet arrived and had a look at B's leg before giving her the vaccination.

I have to say, Juliette was lovely. Breeze was pretty chilled and although I saw the vet had no experience of Parelli I managed to keep my Parelli principles and not keep B on a 'tight rein' or 'hold her head'. I noticed with great pleasure that B thought about pulling back when under pressure, the vet was poking and prodding her sore leg, but she stopped and I could see she thought about it, lowered her head and relaxed. Good job!

Anyway, no puss BUT there is obviously an infection, B's temperature was up so we now have anti-biotics and wound cream. As I write this, I am conscious that perhaps I feel it's more important than I imagined, but this does feel like a bit of a watershed for me. Plus, infected cuts are not to be taken lightly, especially when involving feet and legs! Lol.

It feels like I am learning something very important. I am used to having a shire/cob cross. A 'native' who wasn't so delicate. I thought nothing of cuts and scrapes and even slight lameness. I think I am learning how 'delicate' TB's are and it's freaking me out! I worry that I am over reacting too lol. How can such a small thing be so important? Drugs, treatment, box rest. Have I been asleep for the last four years and not realised how, sometimes, horses need so much care!

When I went to the feed store today (to buy bandages etc as well as feed and shavings), Kim (who works there) and I laughed when buying leg bandages. She asked me if I didn't have them already. We both agreed, why would I have them with a 'native', lol. Strange.

Anyway. I think I am waffling. This eve we went for a 15 minute walk in the arena. How interesting to notice B's expression. Different from normal but she seemed to enjoy it. Breeze seems happy to have anything drug related in her food. She doesn't seem to care as long as she gets food! Part of me is happy she isn't ridable.....no pressure on me. There is ALWAYS pressure on me when we ride. Something I take as 'normal'. For me!

I am ashamed to write this...trying to get the bandage changed tonight was very frustrating for me! I was too direct line because I knew I 'had to get it done' and Breeze was not able to stand still. I got annoyed, frustrated and then angry with myself for not being able to do something I have no idea how to do and have never done before. Bah! Aren't you all glad you aren't me! Luckily, Sandra was on hand to take over and direct me and B and between us we got the job done! I am so lucky to have a good friend like Sandra! Jan had done all the bandaging this morning as I had lost the plot and my brain would not take in all the info, let alone allow me to act upon it!

It may not be true to Parelli principles, I don't know, but we found the only way we could get B to stand still was to lift her right front leg while we bandaged the left cut one and vice versa for the stable wraps. I tried to feel positive about all the other things that Breeze CAN do which made me feel I wasn't a total failure. Stand around untied while I groom her, even on her very ticklish belly for example and how calm she was for the vet. These things seem important to me when really I feel I haven't coped well in this situation.

When B is recovered from this minor injury, by Friday probably, all this will seem like a storm in a teacup. Perhaps I need to get a life!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sending healing thoughts your way. Don't be too hard on yourself for being frustrated, as hard as we try, it happens to all of us.

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Natalie, very true x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear Breeze is in the wars! Hope she gets better soon. It sounds like the 'lift the other leg up while you bandage the other one' was a very successful strategy, well done!

    Beth
    Parelli Central, UK/Europe

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear - missed all this was pre-occupied and had not read any blogs for two weeks!! Hope she is getting better - shall read the rest now

    ReplyDelete