Saturday 20 November 2010

Testing time.

Sandra and I decided to try and squeeze a ride in before Sarah came to trim our horses hooves. B had woken up on the RB side of the shavings so she seemed quite crabby. We played in the arena and although it was fun and she was happy to play when Sandra came to see if we were ready to tack up it was clear B wasn't ridable.

But we tacked up and I suggested I walk with B while Sandra rode Bertie as usual.

I tried to get on in the pub car park, but B would not stand still for me to get on. We tried again at the log trailer and yet again at the top of the old woods. B was having none of it and just jumped over and over the log while I stood on it. I suggested to Sandra that she and Bert go on instead without us. B and I walked back to the yard playing sideways, weave and travelling circle.

Back on the yard I decided to get on and have a mooch around the yard, playing some ppl and seeing if I could make my idea her idea but respect hers first. It worked! I watch her expression and feel what her body is doing. I can feel her stop and tense when I ask her to go where she doesn't want to but she is often surprised when I don't make her. Pretty soon she chooses to go where I want to go and gets a scratch and/or a treat.

Sarah showed up, I took B's saddle off while she was trimmed and put it back on after wards and we went for another 'ride' around the yard. We went round and round the yard in ever increasing circles and even into the arena...twice! We had some grazing time and must have spent half an hour just walking around the yard and hanging out. B tried some 'napping' so I asked her to see how far she could go backwards, which changed her mind about that. We get nearer and nearer to the gateway and I am enjoying the approach and retreat game and seeing where B's thresholds are.

This evening we went into the arena and Breeze kept stopping and almost going introverted. I really wanted her to have a good walk about but it was obvious she wasn't in the mood for games so I hit on the idea of playing point to point across the arena with jump sides. I left treats on each one and Breeze soon got the idea and was almost trotting across the arena to get to those jump sides! Seems to me right and left brained introverted horses can be very similar sometimes. I have only just realised this but why would I know anyway. I am used to a LBI not a RBI but it's great to be able to use my knowledge for Breeze's benefit.

2 comments:

  1. Maraschino loves food treats!!! and as you know he's a RBI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm Breeze LOVES treats! Not always the case with RBI's. Great motivator tho! x

    ReplyDelete