Tuesday 23 November 2010

Success!

I was hoping this weekend had set B (and me) up for success and I think it has. I had talked myself out of riding this morning because I have neglected everything but Breeze lately. But Sandra was at the yard having a day off and she asked if I was riding and I said yes!

Getting saddled up was pretty good with B walking away only once and we had had short but pleasant play in the arena just to do some pre-flight checks. We played with mounting at the block by the arena but B couldn't stand still. I got on politely in the courtyard using my steps. B strode out of the courtyard with purpose and headed back to the arena where Sandra and Bert were getting settled.

We had problems leaving the yard again, even though we had done some approach and retreat online. Doing a lot of circling and lateral flexion wasn't working but I noticed Breeze wasn't getting emotional, just stubbornly refusing to leave the yard.
There was a lorry delivering stuff to the pub and Bertie couldn't handle it. Sandra got off and asked for my lead rope. She led Bert by his reins and me on B by the lead rope across the road. Breeze didn't put up much resistance. It certainly wasn't fear, just pure LB behaviour. I am glad we didn't have to put any principles aside to get her into the woods.


B was a little spooky to begin with but quite relaxed for her so I kept her brain busy by asking for zig zag so that she didn't have time to think too much about bogey men in the bushes. We weaved around trees and tried not to follow in Bert's hoof steps. I don't want her to think she is a riding school horse and just follow on behind. Sandra said Bert felt quite tense and he did spook at a few things.

I think she likes me to ask things of her judging by how relaxed she became and happy to follow my directions even if it meant going away from Bert and the direction of home. I praised her all the way around the old woods and sometimes me saying 'good girl' works on me too lol!
We did some weave and circling around trees and just circling on the bridle path. I asked for sideways and have noticed B gets a bit bracy when I ask for this so I relax and ask again until we get it. Need more of that I think.

At the exit I asked Sandra if we could go past and you know what? Breeze carried on happily with a good expression, so we let the horses graze on the grass as a reward.

What a great ride! I am so pleased with our success. Back on the yard B decided we should go for a mooch about and go see things. Nice. I am pleased she doesn't just want me to get off immediately. She was cuddly and focussed on me when I got off but if I put my arms around her neck and squeeze too tight she doesn't like it! Even though I am so happy I want to squeeze her hard lol. She is very much a 'get off me' kind of horse lol and allows me only so much affection then I must cease that nonsense.

I have been worrying for a while that we had taken too many steps back while she has been recovering from that damn cut on her leg. It's still healing nicely but it's taking it's time and I constantly live in fear of her damaging it again or it getting re-infected. I am trying not to be direct line about our partnership while figuring out ways to help us both. It's always a work in progress, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment