Sunday 7 November 2010

How interesting # 356

The arena was really busy today so I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to try and play in there with all that going on. We had a mooch about and played circle game in walk in the car park instead.

Last night B and I went in the arena for a quick play. It was high energy with B and I running around together to keep warm by weaving cones in trot and B jumping. We had another try at reverse falling leaf. I can see in her expression she has learned this and she 'knows' the pattern already. That was evident again today as soon as I asked. Great stuff.

Saddling up was nice again and I decided to get on across the road. While Sandra and I were waiting to cross a car whizzed past too close and fast for the horses liking which scared them. That was a little unexpected and Breeze was no longer happy to let me get on to begin with. I kept calm and patient and made it a wait and see game, only giving B rest when she stood in the proper position.

Breeze was a little tense to begin with on our ride. She made to bite Bert on the butt again but he actually threatened to kick her, she didn't try again! I did make sure we kept our distance and Breeze is really understanding half halts now. I try to be very careful about that because I don't want her to think I am nagging and have her brace.

We did a bit of zig zag and half halts all along the mile and a 1/4. By this time B was relaxed enough to eat now and again until some riders came up behind us. We stopped and waited for them to pass and Breeze needed to move her feet so we circled once or twice. B continued to relax and blew out now and again.

We had nearly reached the turn to the Viaduct when Bert did a massive spook. There were horses in the adjacent field very close to the fence. Poor Bertie was really scared and Breeze took herself off to give him/it some distance. Again I stayed calm and actually deepened my seat and left the reins loose which helps B stand still. Sandra got off and walked Bert past. Her boots were too muddy for her to get on from the fence so she had a bit of a walk up and around the old woods. We followed behind, Breeze not confident to lead. A dog shot out of the bushes at the bottom of the straight and Breeze spooked. I immediately deepened my seat and did a one rein stop. I am so pleased that has become my default mode in an emergency. I makes me feel very safe and empowered! I let B rest until she was calm and we carried on.

Sandra got back on and we played around the trees as usual, Breeze was light and responsive and very relaxed as we went home. The leaves are falling off the trees like confetti and the colours are gorgeous.

Back on the yard I thought it would be an interesting idea to play with B's thresholds about leaving the yard. She didn't mind doing a circuit of the yard behind the courtyard and past the muck heap. But going towards the gate was definitely not something she could do. She tried to go backwards so I said 'ok, how far' which immediately stopped her lol. We circled a little (she couldn't go clockwise and got very bracy) so every time she didn't brace, or took a step to the right I released and then gave her a treat. Pretty soon we were walking around the whole car park. We turned to go back towards the courtyard and then I asked the big one...can you head towards the gate? Breeze stopped, looked towards the gate then took a step towards the gate, so I asked her to stop there. She dropped her head and licked and chewed! I gave her lots of scratches, a bit of carrot and I ended it there. Brilliant!

I even managed to get off without dragging my foot on her rump! That doesn't happen often enough! She followed me around as we unsaddled and chilled out. It's cold enough for a light rug on B today so I left her cozy and warm until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment