Tuesday 18 May 2010

Trot in the woods.

Breeze and I went for a play this morning with Jan. I think B thought because Jan and I were chatting that she could ignore me lol. Perhaps my focus wasn't quite on her because she wasn't listening but some more assertive send on circle game and then 1/4 circles and COD helped her remember who I am. Today she could back into the 'log trailer' and jump out! Her reward for going past the exit again was some lush grass by the golf course.

This evening as I got to the yard Sandra was riding out alone with Bertie so I thought I would get saddled up, go into the woods and see if I could get on and ride home alone and maybe meet Sandra on the way round. Saddling up was ok again and B stood on the pedestal while I did the girth up. We played all the way to the old woods when Jan called me and suggested she meet me and we could ride together. So I got on nicely and easily after some pre flight checks at the logs at the top of the old woods and Jan was very surprised when she came along and saw me. B had done a bit of a spook and broke into a trot but I managed to do a one rein stop and she went back into walk. Nice to know she can do that and we both stay calm. It has proven to be automatic for me. Yay!


Jan and I headed down the straight and B took me too close to a tree stump and I bashed my left knee. Ouch! That's something to work on. We made it about a third of the way with B in front until she couldn't go any further. We tried with Kes and Jan in front but she had begun to stop more often and I thought it might be a good idea for her to turn for home rather than have to ask too much of her this early on in our relationship. She responded really well to my strokes and encouragement and it was lovely to have Jan say how well we look together and how in tune we are. Breeze walked quite fast and broke into a trot. All I had to do was stroke the rein and she would slow down. I did ask for trot in the end, how could I not, and it was lovely. Its a long time since I have trotted and I have been curious to see how that would be on B.

My confidence has come back and I feel just as good as I did on Lizzie despite the shaky starts lol. Little by little we try a bit more. I got a teeny bit of sideways tonight although B couldn't deviate from the bridle path to circle trees etc. It's so nice to have a responsive horse. B listens to me more and more and I feel I am capable of helping her feel safe with me, of being her leader. I never had that option with Lizzie, we had a different kind of relationship.

I stayed in the saddle to go across the road and home. B stayed calm and waited by the road until I said ok lets go. Nice. I checked her back when I took the saddle off. She no longer swishes her tail when I do this and her back was slightly warm but the hair still smooth. I picked her feet out and left her tucking into her hay knowing she was contented.


No comments:

Post a Comment