Thursday 20 May 2010

Three great weeks!

Breeze came to London three weeks today and in that time we have already come a long way! Much further and faster than I thought we might and I cannot tell you how happy we both are. She is so happy in her stable she likes to stand in it and eat her haylage that's outside.

This evening B was up in the runway having followed Sandra and Bert. Over the last three weeks she has been nearer and nearer the gate when I have got to the yard and she now catches me, which is fabulous.

We played in the school briefly just to see what mood B was in and it was pretty nice. So it was off to get saddled up and get on. I used the hackamore for the first time instead of tying up the 22' line and got on using one of B's bales of haylage. I focussed on being patient and waiting for B to give me permission.

She didn't hesitate leaving the yard ridden for the first time. She tucked in behind Bert but grumped Eddie to stay behind. Mares, eh?
B only hesitated a couple of times down the straight and snorted a little along the turn into the old woods. We trotted along the up bits and it was interesting to note that although B sped up and slowed down, her long legs mean she can cover a lot of ground very quickly. So much so, we kept catching up with Bert lol.

I wasn't completely relaxed but more than I thought I would be. I understand that I need to be calm and support B which helps me not to be too nervous. I am sure the more hours we put in the easier it will become.
Although we are riding in the hackamore I can feel Breeze is a little unconfident with totally loose reins so I am keeping them quite short, more a concentrated rein and little by little I am getting her used to no contact at all. She is getting the idea about turning too and I give her plenty of time and exaggerated movements to teach her. Time to refine later. I reckon B will be very good at 'follow the rail' as she likes to do that out in the woods! I had to kick the fence a few times to ask her to move over lol.


Above are the sweat patterns after our ride. Nice smooth hair and dry spine. B wasn't happy about me drying her back with a towel. She will get used to it one day lol.

1 comment:

  1. Cute piccy at the top. Congrats on the 3 week anniversary...

    ReplyDelete