Sunday 9 May 2010

Brilliant Sunday and prep pays off.

We played in the school this morning and I paid particular attention to the circle game, having watched the latest Parelli DVD. Breeze was a little RB when we first got in the school so I let her move her feet and get it out of her system. We ended with some COD at 1/4 of the circle in both directions which was a joy.

Then we played fig 8 and circle game with an obstacle which was the saddle. I asked here to stop when she passed the saddle and put your nose on it. With lots and lots of approach and retreat and finally Breeze let me put the saddle on her back. It fell off when she walked but she didn't care and we got the chance to play some more. When the girth was done up we left the school.

I asked Breeze to stand by the steps which has already got easier for her but she didn't want me to get on so I left it and went for a walk with Sandra and Bert in the woods.


We played sideways and traveling circle games and walked farther than we have before. I kept an eye on Sandra and Bert and passed on some of the things I learned in the DVD about sending more assertively.

We made it all the way down the straight, with B showing me her napping trick as I was walking in zone 3 with my hand on the pommel. She was snorting and breathing quite fast because she hadn't been in this part of the woods before. I let her rest and we did some half circles against the fence and then she was calm enough to carry on. We went past the viaduct and it was fun to see how B was interested and keen to go ahead because she was curious about the new places.

There was lots to eat and B made the most of the stops. Sandra and I marveled earlier on how both horses could go sideways and eat at every step from the bushes! By this time we realised we had been out over 2 hours so it was time to head back.

B decided a little bit of 'I want to go ahead of you and fast' was in order so I played helicopter etc with my rope and reminded her about my space and leadership. She got snotty at one point and I had to go to phase 3 to get back up and all was jolly from then on. Sandra got on and I suggested she trot on ahead and leave us to walk home alone. B didn't even care that Bert left us. Brilliant. We caught up with Sandra and Bert in the pub car park and crossed the road together.

Back at the yard I just thought I would try getting on again and B was happy to line up. After a little approach and retreat she stood still and I tried the stirrup a few times. That was ok too so I swung my leg over carefully and got on! Sandra had been watching and was busy stuffing B with treats which really helped tho I don't know if it was entirely proper lol. But hey, it worked and B was pretty relaxed. We did one circuit of the pedestal and I played friendly game and got off. Grinning.

3 comments:

  1. well done - looks like you are making great progress.... just protect your nog next time - thats concrete down below there.. doesn't go well with heads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took my helmet all the way around the woods while we were online testing places to get on to no avail. When we got back I put the helmet away and on the spur of the moment decided to see if she would give me permission and surprisingly she did. Point taken. I will remember to wear it next time x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i nearly forgot mine as well yesterday... it's easily done. hopefully someone there will remind us.
    you're making fantastic progress.

    ReplyDelete