Tuesday 25 May 2010

Boy, oh boy! How interesting.


On the way to the field this morning Breeze and I had an impromptu play in the school. We did a little stick to me and falling leaf in trot, circle game and a quick jump, turn and face me. She walked by my side up the runway to the field and sauntered off slowly when I took the halter off.

The temperature was a lot cooler today so this evening I thought it would be fun to set the 'round pen' up and see what happens. I took two c/s to the pen, one with a savvy string, the other a plastic bag. Initially B was happy and eager to have a look. I used the plastic bag c/s and we played squeeze game through the gaps in the panels that I set up, then weave in and out. This went well until I asked her to come into the pen and just circle. At each opening she found a threshold and gave me COD. I let her do this to begin with but it obviously was too much pressure for her. Then suddenly she just switched off, head down, not blinking and staring at the ground. Oh oh I thought, she's gone introverted so I stood in neutral and left her alone. Didn't take her long to lift her head so I asked her in and we just chilled out and I stroked her and hung out with her and watched Sandra and Bert play.

It took quite a while for B to really come back to the here and now. I swapped the c/s for the savvy string one and we had a walk around the arena and then played some more outside the pen while Sandra and Bert were inside having a lot of fun. I can't always watch them but I hear Sandra giggling and laughing and praising Bert which makes me very happy.

Once Breeze was relaxed and looking at me with both eyes again she gave me sideways round the outside of the pen and then sideways towards me! Wow. So I decided to take her away from the pen as a reward and play in the rest of the arena, giving her a lot of time to relax and wait in-between and plenty of friendly game. Sideways without a fence diagonally then fig 8 around some cones, then weave from a distance. Then I got something I never managed with Lizzie and that was sideways along a pole!! I tried with a barrel but she couldn't get that. Either I asked the question wrong or the wrong question or it's just too much yet, but I am so thrilled we got the pole done! It took some time but I focused on being polite but persistent. I was smiling and laughing and could tell B was happy too. So nice to have that kind of feedback from her. She just looks so pleased with herself lol.

So we ended it there. The temperature was dropping a little more, the wind getting up and it was getting towards dusk. I looked at my watch and it was nearly 8.30! We had set up at 7!!

Breeze was very soft and cuddly back in her stable. I hung out with her for a while sitting on the floor. Breeze spent some time sniffing me and snuffling my neck which was very sweet. Then a quick groom. I try not to groom her all over, as yet she isn't too keen on some areas. I can touch her shoulders now, also her back and rump but nothing around the belly. That will come in time.

2 comments:

  1. was it the pen or the plastic bag?
    Wish it was still light at 8 here...mind you shortest day not far away now.... counting down as usual....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was the pen as she was quite ok with the bag on the c/s, better than a savvy string in some areas. It might have been sensory overload with all the new stuff but she didn't stay 'out of it' too long and we had a great time.
    I can't quite believe it's almost the middle of summer already! Trying not to think the longest day is a month away so trying not to do a countdown!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete