Saturday 8 May 2010

Preparation

Firstly, I will apologise for the crappy photos. My Blackberry doesn't like low light situations.

After a short but very nice play this morning, I had to go to work. So this evening I spent a couple of hours with B. We played approach and retreat with the saddle until B could allow me to place it on her back. I let her walk away whenever she wanted to but then asked her to walk around me until she stood still. Then we braved the chilly, almost raining, weather and did a lot more approach and retreat playing with getting on in the courtyard. After letting B move whenever she wanted, playing circle game and giving her treats when she did stand still. Breeze finally stood still for a good minute or so. It was quite a 'full on' session and has given her a lot to think about.

Eventually I got to lean over her back and we both just rested and did nothing. This is going really well and is boosting my confidence (and B's) about actually getting on in the not too distant future.

Breeze appears to be under the impression that saddles mean pain and discomfort and having learned a little about her past experiences with saddles (thank you Kayleigh) I am not surprised.

It is very weird to see my treeless saddle on Breeze after only seeing it on Lizzie. But it seems to be settling on B's back quite nicely without too much adjustment of the shims. She played with the saddle after I took it off, licking and biting it gently on the pommel and lifting it up by the stirrups and dropping it on the ground. She couldn't leave it alone so I put a few treats on it a couple of times as a reward and she left it alone.

Sandra thinks she can see a big change in B's whole demeanor, as if she has changed shape already. I am definitely getting to see the top of her head instead of just the underside of her muzzle! She trod on her rope this evening whilst tied up and she didn't leap in the air. She calmly lifted her foot and stepped off it. Wow!

I can now run my hand over her back without her stepping away. She still swishes her tail but I am sure that will change soon too. I have done a lot of this since she came. Just touching her briefly, running my hand over her back and hind quarters and walking away, stroking her gently and trying to help her accept this, as well as doing nothing, as a reward instead of treats all the time. She is very food orientated! Very. Oh and by the way can I have a treat, please. Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment