Monday 31 May 2010

Big softie!

This morning I saddled B up, quite quickly and very nicely, and we went into the woods for a play and our first solo ride. I took these photos afterwards as she looked so content and relaxed.

We had an interesting play to the old woods. I asked for circle game by the wood yard. She couldn't maintain gait or stay on a circle and as I hadn't brought the c/s I used the end of the 22' line. At first she would explode but after some COD she settled and maintained gait and direction. Time to move on and we played weave and circle around trees along the way.

We were passed by a big ride from one of the local riding schools. I saw them coming and asked B to yield her HQ and backed her into the woods, a little off the track. She stayed calm until they had gone past and we moved on to the top of the old woods where I tied up the 22' line and asked her into position by the log. I got on more gracefully today! B stood for a while but then moved off so we practiced some one rein stop until I had sorted my ropes and stirrups out.

She wasn't exactly relaxed as we set off for home. She seemed quite bracey and not happy to weave or circle very much. We practiced some more lateral flexion and stopping which calmed her. We did some transitions from walk to trot and back down again which helps her to slow down and helps me preserve my confidence. Approach and retreat from the saddle lol! I remembered!

She stopped nicely to cross the side road, we took a few little detours in and out of trees along the way and pretty soon we were by the exit. I asked her to go past and she managed a little way then stopped and backed up. I asked her to wait which she did, so her reward was we left the woods. There seems to be no point in arguing with her about it, I learned that with Lizzie. It's not about making her go where I want her to. I want B to feel happy to want to go where I ask her in the future and having a battle of wills won't achieve that. We crossed the road and back to the courtyard where I asked her to do a little lateral flexion then yield her hindquarters. She seems a little unbalanced going to the right but she will get better at it, I am sure.

It took me more than two years to get this far when I had Lizzie. This time around it has taken a month with B! I have made such a lot of progress on my own confidence, it's amazing. Helping B along helps me focus too. I am loving this journey. Baby steps leading to bigger and bigger things.

No comments:

Post a Comment