Friday 7 May 2010

Progress.

Breeze is a very fast learner. I am astonished by the progress we have made in just one week. She accepts the c/s everywhere and is so much more relaxed that I thought possible in such a short time.


She was a little spooky at the start of our walk and quite alert. She took a left turn and we went down the mile and 1/4. So I drove her from zone 5 from the end of the 22' line. We got trot too! She got a bit upset that I wouldn't let her follow some riders that passed us by the 'log trailer' but once given something to do she settled really fast. Today I concentrated on more ride simulation so I asked her to walk with me, her poll in line with my shoulder 'in the pocket', not in front or behind. We played some circle game with C.O.D. I have noticed these last couple of days that now she isn't scared she is becoming more confident and with that there is some dominance/LB coming through. I like this as it helps her be more thoughtful but sometimes resistant in that 'I don't want to do it and you can't make me' kind of way. But because she is sensitive I only have to ask a little firmer and she is fine lol.

She had one little explosion on the circle game out in the woods by the wood yard because she trod on the rope again. This time it was fast and easy to slow her down and give her time to think about it.

At the top of the old woods we did a lot of sideways and she is getting it really well now. She jumped the logs this time (and what a lovely jump she has) quite a few times and turned to face me every time. Then I asked her to line up as if I was going to get on, in the same place Lizzie and I used to do it. This time it didn't take much at all and I gave her lots of rubs and treats and we set off home. I walked with her in zone 3 with my left hand on the handle of the BB pad and used the 'rein' to guide her with my right. At first she set off in a fast walk but with a few very slight one rein stops she settled into walking at the pace I asked for all the way home.

I watched her go out to the field and join the others. Lovely to watch her interact and see where she is at in the herd so far. She is neither clingy or out on the edge, but happy to hang with Ginny and Bert and say hi to everyone. Everything about Breeze is delightful and so enjoyable. I am spending a lot of time with her to build our foundation and set us up for success, sometimes to the detriment of everything else! But its not a minute wasted and has really made a difference to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment