Thursday 6 May 2010

Busy doing nothing.



Lydia visited today! Lovely to see her and to get her input as another Parelli student. Plus she took these cool photos of us playing in the school. We didn't play for long but hung around chatting about B and letting her relax and do nothing. Breeze loved it. She stayed out at the end of the 22' line and just relaxed more than I have ever seen her do in the short time I have known her.

We talked about the saddling issue I have noticed and we found when Lydia simulated getting ready to get on from a jump side again B couldn't stand still or let Lydia anywhere near her back.

So this evening I spent a good 2 hours with B in our little courtyard hanging out and playing approach and retreat with mounting simulations. To begin with B couldn't stand still or let me go near her back. At the end of the session she could stand still and let me lean over her back. She got a little frustrated a few times when she didn't get a treat immediately and actually tried to bite me. I just took no notice and she stopped.

B has learned the pedestal is a safe haven and she can go and stand on it whenever she likes and she gets to relax there. I tried to use it in the mounting simulation but she kept getting up next to me lol. So I got the steps out instead. Eventually I got to rest my arm up on her back/withers and walk around with her and direct her using the rope as a rein. So my own fears about riding a new horse are receding as B and I get to know each other. I have noticed I wasn't scared about riding her but just anxious that she accepted me and that she would give me permission.

B's back up is getting so much better too and she managed to back out of her stable today. It's also marvelous to see her spending more time with her head down and not up in the air. That top line will develop in no time at all. At one point this evening she got the line wrapped around a front leg so we played lead by the leg! B looked a little surprised by that but it didn't faze her at all. Neither did the green ball I showed her this morning after she had licked it lol. I even put it up on her back and she took no notice at all. That's my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment