Saturday 15 May 2010

That went well!

Breeze was in a very happy, cuddly mood this morning. We played in the school for a short while before I went to work because I knew she would be in her stable all day. She doesn't seem to mind that at all lol.

We had a fabulous play and she really got the idea of weaving around cones at the end of the 22' line. I found I could ask Breeze to weave in and out simply my moving my own body slightly. Wonderful!

This evening I played approach and retreat with the saddle and finally I got the timing right. As soon as she let me put the saddle on her back without moving away I gave her a treat. She got the idea very quickly and once she had sorted that I swapped it to taking the saddle off her back when she stood still. So it seems having a saddle put on has become a pleasant prospect. She is very funny when I do the girth up, she always bends her head round to watch what I do very closely and it makes me laugh.

So we went for a walk, saddled, in the woods and I did some preparation for getting on by the 'log trailer'. It was nice to hang out together although B was a little watchful. I walked back holding the pommel with one hand so that I was in zone 3.
Back on the yard I got my helmet on and took B to the mounting block by the school and we played line up so I can get on. That didn't take too long and I did get on! Breeze stood still so I gave her a treat but she caught my finger and bit it and while i wasn't focussed but going 'ouch!' she walked off quite fast and headed into the stable block! I got a bit messed up with ropes and stuff but stopped her before long and got off.
We went back to the block and I got on again. This time she was calmer and we walked around the yard to the little courtyard where she walked right up to the pedestal and got up on it! That felt quite weird I can tell you. But she got down carefully and again I got off.
Then while she happily munched on her hay I got on again and sat there for a while. It is important to me that both of us are calm and relaxed and that B learns to do nothing when I first get on her back.

I have found the extra 2" difference between B and Lizzie quite a lot! It's definitely further to get on and jump down! I guess I will get used to it soon. You can see in the photo how relaxed Breeze was this evening, I didn't have to tie her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment