Tuesday 4 May 2010

Building the relationship.

Yesterday B was in a RB frame of mind again. Perhaps it was the windy cold weather, who knows. She had a blast in the school and actually cantered around a bit. She is so easy to catch despite this. I crept up to zone 5 and as soon as I was near enough she turned and followed me. We had a trot and canter together at liberty and went for a walk in the woods. We didn't do much except practice keeping my personal space.

Today, although she was a little RB when I asked her out of her stable she soon settled and we went for a graze. She trod on her rope again today but her reaction was less explosive.

We had great fun in the school. She is getting less bracy now and circle game was lovely and calm. We even got traveling circle down the longest side three times. Lovely, just lovely. We did some weave and fig 8 around cones and some circle game with an obstacle, which was a jump! Boy, oh boy, can she jump! Incredible and beautiful to watch. One day I will do that on her back!

Next we went for a short walk in the woods and she didn't try to barge past me once. Lovely. She jumped out of out 'log trailer' too. I let her graze for a while next to the golf course and watched to see how she coped with the golfers rustling around in the bushes looking for their lost ball. She only spooked once and it was pretty much on the spot. No running away. Cool.

Back at the yard I got my saddle out and she sniffed it while I looked for the girth. I lent the girth to someone the other day and I didn't put it back so it took a while. Which was actually quite cool because it gave Breeze time to just chill and I did a lot of approach and retreat. Back in Cornwall she didn't want to be saddled and I only got as far as starting to tighten the girth.

Today she was happy to be saddled and what a joy to do the girth up and not be bitten! I never did get Lizzie out of the habit of biting me when I tightened the girth. So it was on with my hat and out with the steps.

Breeze could not stand still. So we played approach and retreat and then I stood on the steps and let her circle me and do some change of direction too. It didn't take too long before she could stand still and I got her balanced and ready by moving the saddle. We made it as far as me putting my foot in the stirrup until she walked away. I let her move around some more and then when she accepted my foot in the stirrup I left it there. I think that was enough for both of us for one day. I will only be happy to get on when she gives me permission. The last thing I want is for something to go wrong for either of us. It is paramount that I do everything at her pace, preserving our relationship and her dignity. It will take as long as it takes.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see Breeze has settled well into her new home and is becoming more confident. Sounds like you are making great progress.... keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete