Sunday 12 December 2010

Sunday success.

Tried out the old green halter I used on Lizzie and some black reins I made a while ago. Not a great success. Halter too small and reins limp and slippery. Oh well. It was worth a try. It's a shame because I think B looks great in green.

B is obsessed with bins and their contents! Sometimes I find this quite challenging when others leave mouldy food in them and B won't leave it alone!


Breeze loves the pedestals again. She happily gets up on them at every opportunity at liberty but then there is usually a treat if she does lol.

Enough of the cute photos. We rode today on our usual Sunday. Warming up in the arena was brilliant. I have certainly set us up for success all week. B was attentive and listening and very light so we didn't stay long. Just as well because I had got to the yard the latest I have ever been and Sandra was saddled and ready to go!

Saddling up was lovely and perhaps I should tick off saddling at liberty and your horse doesn't walk off in my tasks on Parelli Connect now. Woohoo! Getting on was lovely too and surprisingly leaving the yard was almost ok too! Breeze couldn't follow Bertie to the gate and after a bit of snottiness and some lateral flexion we met at the gate after going behind the 'pony block'.

I can't say we had a totally relaxed ride.The black reins felt really awful. Floppy and slippery. How quickly we get used to things we use and rely on them. I will be going back to my Parelli reins next time. We turned down the mile and 1/4 where B kept stopping to eat grass which I didn't mind but she alternated that with spooking at golfers. I was very pleased to see all through the ride that no matter what B did I automatically deepened my seat, either reached down to one rein to stop her or when we were chased by a dog, grabbed the front of my saddle! No matter what my little flower does I manage to balance myself and stay focussed. This is a major breakthrough for me which has been a long time coming. For years I have battled with my fears about the one and only fall I had which was nearly fatal. I sometimes think I mention it too much and for that I appologise. But it has been a big part of my horse life and having a new younger more RB horse was a big issue and I wondered if I was savvy enough not to fall off again! Obviously I am and long may it continue.

The ride started off ok but when a dog chased us I lost a bit of confidence, realised I was tense and holding my breath which doesn't help B much. By the time we got to the Viaduct there was room for B and I to play with zig zag and give her something to do rather than walk along in a straight line looking for scary stuff int he bushes. We did do some trotting along the first half of the ride and B was pretty balanced but did get too choppy and fast. Nice to have Bertie in front to slow her down just in case.

We led some of the way but B did try to bite Bert's butt when B hid behind him. I wonder if the high fencing along the mile and 1/4 is too much of a squeeze game sometimes. I have to keep praising and stroking her and asking for half halts but she does eventually stop and leave a decent gap.

We did some lovely weaving around the trees near to home. My hands were quite cold by then so it was great to be relaxed enough to stuff them in my pockets and ride without the reins. By the exit a boy and his younger brother, playing in the pub adventure playground, called to us to stop. I love to oblige people that want to be near horses. Breeze seems to like children and licked the little boy held in his brothers arms. I told then B thinks kids taste nice which made them laugh. Photos were taken and we wandered off. Breeze stopped in the exit, turned her head asking for a treat. She did this a few times today when I was particularly happy with our progress lol.

Back on the yard we mooched around again. Breeze seemed really happy to do this. We investigated the big blue bins and I put treats on them. We did some lovely back up too. That's getting really relaxed. When I got off B wanted to follow me everywhere at liberty so we walked to the container and I took her saddle off there. She put herself away in her stable, I think it was a little chilly for her liking to be out in the courtyard. I got on with my chores and she ate hay.

This evening she was happy to be with me which made leaving her difficult. Although I am not allowed to touch her while she eats her feed lol. I asked her to come to the muck heap again but left her ground tied. While I was throwing muck up she tried to sneak off which made me laugh. I swear she tries to tip toe away. My legs are aching a little. I am obviously not used to trotting very much as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment