Thursday 16 December 2010

Horse of the Year Show.



I don't know a lot about any form of traditional horse sports, except that I dislike most of it. I kind of like dressage but only because I have seen it from a Parelli point of view watching Linda and Lauren Barwick. Watching those horses last night gave me a lot to think about. I noticed how some riders seemed kinder to their horses but it makes me cringe to see them slap their horses as a thank you after the tests. Some were allowed a loose rein and even a treat at the end! I hated to see the saliva dripping from their mouths and splashing down their chests and legs. It seems like a very strenuous few minutes for a horse to be involved in and requires a lot of time and training I am sure. Some of the horse did look like they were enjoying themselves and there was an obvious bond between horse and rider but all the same I am glad I don't do any of that to my horse.

These horses and riders are obviously athletes of the highest caliber and it was less uncomfortable for me to witness compared to the show jumping! Sandra and I could only watch a little of that because I for one cannot bear to see the horses mouths so harshly pulled all the time. I just cannot understand why they just don't give the horses enough rein for them to move naturally. I guess I never will.

Well, that's my opinion aired on that subject lol. I wore my Parelli jacket with pride and spent money I shouldn't have by buying Breeze a new stable rug and me some beeswax hand cream for my dry, cracking hands and some thick thermal socks. There was nothing else I could possibly want there, even if I could afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment