Wednesday 22 December 2010

Me and Breeze and the 45' came too.

Another short but fun walk in the woods this morning. I decided it would be fun to bring along the 45' line and drag it behind us to get B used to something following behind (in preparation for pulling stuff) and to try and soften it a little. I was surprised at how well we both managed lol. I didn't get tangled up and B didn't get scared or unconfident.

She ate some more freeze dried nettles until I started throwing the coils of the 45' along the bridle path which made her jumpy so we left it there. She will get used to it I am sure.


The snow/slush was very cold and my hands suffered quite a bit. Great fun though.

We have been having some marvelous sessions in the arena this last week or so. Breeze is showing me that she has learned a lot of the things we do. This morning I asked for reverse falling leaf and she went ok no problem. Nice. We are getting really good with doing stuff right at the end of the 22' in preparation for the 45' too. The sessions have been short because it's been so cold and I also think B does better if we keep it short. I will build up to longer once the weather improves. This does depend on Breeze though! She sometimes comes into the arena and shuts down immediately and goes intro. On these occasions I know she isn't up for doing much. But it's nice to see that I can bring her out of these very easily now and we get to play.

Everything we do at the moment is really cool and going well. Circle game just makes me happy. We are yet to get many laps but the few I do ask for look really nice. B's trotting is controlled and even and she no longer wants to sped up and go nuts. Maybe canter won't be far off now. We can get cod in trot now which B seems to enjoy doing.

As for backing up over a pole, that's just excellent. Going to her with a treat when she got it right has really paid off. It really helps to fix in her mind what success looks and feels like. Especially on days like today when she made assumptions about what I asked for and then got snotty when her idea wasn't mine. She had a LB explosion instead of a RB freak out. It meant we could have a conversation about it instead of stopping and helping her find calm and confidence. I like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment