Tuesday 1 February 2011

We did it!

What did I say yesterday? That I wished I could ride more often? Well we did!! And it was very interesting. And good.

We started off playing online to the top of the old woods. I took it all really slowly and B and I ambled along while I took a phone call. As we got nearer to where I usually get on I took things up a notch and asked for sideways, some driving game from z 5 and circle game. B was pretty relaxed and ridable so I tied the 22' up into reins, asked her to line up and I got on.

No sooner had my bum touched the saddle and she was off, stomping along, getting home the only thing on her mind! I didn't have time to put my right foot in the stirrup or tie up the lead line but I managed to clumsily one rein stop her and we circled for a while until I felt she was calm enough to carry on, after I got myself organised.

It was an interesting ride. I really had to concentrate on asking B to please be a partner and not be so pig headed lol. I kept in mind the stuff I had read on the savvy club forum about 'Leadership under saddle' and persisting and getting what I asked for by taking the time it takes. Actually I was quite amused by how LBI B was and her almost fighting me about which direction we went in. I was polite but persistent and asked her to do a lot of things like circle, turn and retrace our steps for a while, fig 8 and weave around trees. We usually do this anyway on our regular rides with Bert and Sandra. Today I asked for more, a lot more and we even got sideways and bit by bit Breeze became softer and more relaxed. At no point did I feel she was tense or scared but just determined to do what she wanted to. I am so pleased she didn't get bracy or try napping or rearing or even bolting. I just don't let her go there. It seems I have learned to make the wrong thing uncomfortable and the right thing easy from the saddle and not make it an argument or endanger my confidence.

At the exit I asked her to go passed. She was a little resistant still but in the end we went back past the exit half a dozen times until she was really relaxed and blew out. So her reward was to leave and go home. We crossed the road, had a mosey around the yard, did a little nine step back up...correctly this time.(the steps being using the reins not how many steps B takes as I used to think it was lol,) then I got off. Grinning.

I led B to the shed to take her saddle off. She has no fear when it comes to walking right into the container! But then, the lure of carrots is irresistible for B.

Breeze made a 'B' line for the carrots!

No comments:

Post a Comment