Tuesday 22 February 2011

Cloud Nine.

You would think with thousands of photos of B I could find one relevant to today. But no, so this one will have to do. I didn't take any photos during my lesson with Claire today...far, far too busy and engrossed!

B and I warmed up by playing with obstacles, jumping over the blue barrels etc until Claire arrived. Today we focussed on circle game, refining it. My send needed some help because I have been blocking B and because she is so sensitive I have to be quiet but persistent, asking and supporting with the c/s and not put too much pressure on her and have her explode. Rhythmically seems to be the key and not forgetting neutral...I have been standing with my arms still up. Talk about nagging lol. What a relief to hang my arms down by my sides lol.

Claire said some lovely encouraging things. I know she always does but it's great to bounce ideas off her and have my own thoughts and theories validated, if that's the correct term. I am so used to being on my own on this Parelli journey that having someone to talk to in depth about it, is fabulous. To be told that B and I are doing so well and are actually in Level 3 now is wonderful.

It felt like we were constantly having to adjust to other riders, horses and people coming and going in and out of the arena today, that I jokingly said we might need a 'do not disturb' sign on the gate to the arena. B handled it very well but did end up quite introverted. It was gratifying to know my own idea of helping her find her own way out and back into the world was the right thing to concentrate on.

We talked about auditions and that getting my blue string is in our sights, along with the green L3, then black L4! That really is my dream! If we had filmed today Claire thinks it could be assumed that B was a LBI, she was quite slow and quiet. Not her usual confident self but also not RB enough to explode.
Breeze is a very complex horse and I realise now, just how much baggage she has. I did think she was pretty easy when I first met her. She just needed taking care of. But as is usually the way, the more surface you scratch, the more layers you uncover.

So, here we are. I know B and I are very well suited, more by luck than judgement. We have the will and ability to go further in Parelli. It is still going to take some licking and chewing on my part, to realise how much savvy I have now. It feels like we are ready to take it to the next level and we are embarking on leaving L2 way behind us. What a concept!! For what seems like forever I have studied Parelli and admired other peoples skills. Dreaming of one day being 'like them' but feeling I was no way near getting to any level of skill. Just clunking around really.

Breeze is beginning to think and solve puzzles. Today she trod on the 22' line. Usually she would toss her head in the air and get bracy (which was a vast improvement on the exploding she used to do!). Today she calmly took a step back off the rope. Incredible transformation. She asks questions on the circle game and when we get to obstacles. She will still offer lots of things other than what I ask of her sometimes. Before today she had a default setting of side passing everything which definitely was 'just a trick'. Now she is beginning to engage her brain and think.

The downside of all this knowledge is the feeling of more isolation from the rest of the world that surrounds me. As Claire pointed out, it's B's opinion of me that counts. Breeze seems to think I am all right!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you'll get your string(s) at the course in May! I've not been able to read many posts lately sorry - been hectic at work

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fantastic! I might at least get my red L1. Online might be a L3 pass but the rest needs a lot of practice.
    It's a good thing that work is hectic but I hope its not wearing you out! x

    ReplyDelete