Friday 18 February 2011

Circle game.

Wednesday was a stay in day so B and I played in the arena in the evening. There were other riders and this time B didn't go introverted very much. We spent quite some time on the circle game and it was great to see how relaxed she was and happy to 'do her job'. It went so well she offered a little bit of canter which gave me the chance to see if we could get one lap. We did! Marvelous but...I had to go and be direct line and ask for more. Which of course, we didn't get. Too much pressure and B got unconfident and RB.

Breeze got bracy which I managed to laugh about but it was hard work hanging on to the 22', especially with others around. It wasn't much fun when the young girl riding around started calling out to B and asking if she was 'being a tart'. That took a lot of emotional fitness for me to resist although I did call out 'no she's not'.

Anyway, we had some fun walking around and cooling off after that. I did ask for some more circle game, just to be sure B was calm and could stay that way and that I hadn't broken it. We had some fig 8 and some great jump, turn and face too. I was relieved to see I hadn't upset her. I love how forgiving horses are of us silly humans, sometimes when we have pushed things too far.

Since then, Breeze has been much more focussed on me. Despite my direct line thinking our relationship has come on a lot. I am also very pleased to see my patience and plan to help B become calmer is paying off. Slowly we work, or is it play, towards that goal of all three gaits calmly and controlled by Breeze herself. Seems like we are both learning to be confident in ourselves. I never stop being astonished by what horses have to teach each and every one of us and it always seems exactly at the right time!

We are still playing yo yo in and out of her stable and this morning I thought I would see how it would be if I asked B to move while I put her outdoor rug on. Turned out really well. It was just an extension of the carrot stretches we have been playing with me standing still and B turning around me. Great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment