Sunday 20 February 2011

My 51%.

Fabulous and more fabulous, that was my day with Breeze. The weather was still miserable and colder so it was c/s with bag again. I saddled up before playing in the arena so that B didn't get a damp back. Again I made sure I asked v v quietly, hardly moving the stick. We didn't need to do much. B wanted to be close and she made me laugh on circle game by asking to come in all the time. Despite that she was calm and obedient even with someone lunging their pony at the other end of the arena. Sandra and Bert were there too, watching us which is Sandra's polite way of telling me she and Bert were ready to ride.

I was almost thinking about getting on in the arena but decided, not today. Instead we left the arena and went and stood by the mounting block. I chatted to Sandra and someone else that came along, all the time asking B to come nearer the block and stand still. I took my time, rewarded B's slightest try and then I got on! B stood still for ages as I praised her and stuffed her face with bits of carrot and parsnip lol. This is a real first! B has been very unhappy about going anywhere near the block since I got her. Slowly we have played approach and retreat for all this time and now today it paid off big time. I love Parelli!

Leaving the yard was threshold free with one hesitation, so I lifted the lead rope and slapped my shoulders gently and she moved on. There were no thresholds entering the woods and B strode out with confidence, head down and looking where she was going. The whole ride was relaxed and fun. We trotted some of the mile and 1/4 but the ground was very sloppy and B made me laugh trying to trot and dodge puddles at the same time. She really looks at those puddles hard!
Some riders I know came up behind us and I let B turn and look at them and let them pass. One of the girls still calls me a nutter for riding in the halter lol. And now on a TB too. Ha! B watched them pass and didn't try to follow. Nice.
We had a couple of spooks, once when a deer shot out of the bushes. I just let B move her feet and she stops immediately when she feels the danger has passed. B ate a lot here and there but was a great partner. We got some sideways to help her relax a few times and for some of the time she either walked next to Bert or went ahead if she was feeling confident enough. We passed the exit with absolutely no hesitation whatsoever and Bert and B turned together and we gave our horse a treat each almost in sync!


Back on the yard B and I moseyed about, then I took her saddle off outside the container and she came right into it for a treat lol. We hung out together and played with the pedestal until she was happy to go back to her stable. She didn't want me to leave for a while so we had a bit of a cuddle and when she got stuck into eating haylage I left.
I did wonder if some of the issues between us that were raised recently might lead to a change in our relationship for the better. We both seem to give each other confidence! Horses teach riders, riders teach horses! Marvelous!

No comments:

Post a Comment