Tuesday 8 February 2011

Feels like Spring!

It was a gorgeous day, sunny but not too cold. Actually is was such a glorious day that it really felt like Spring!
I did my usual chores and got ready for saddling up when I noticed Jan doing the same. We agreed to go out together for a change lol. B and I went into the arena to warm up online, followed by someone with a very tense horse in draw reins and martingale. B took one look at them and immediately went introverted and stayed like that most of the time until they left. I tried to coax her into doing a little bit of stick to me, some fig 8 and back up over a pole but she just couldn't. We spent a lot of the time standing in the lovely warm sunshine waiting for the other rider to leave. When they did B relaxed and we headed off to the courtyard to get on.

I wasn't too sure about getting on. I have never seen her introverted for such a long time although she wasn't in deep. I thought maybe just get on and see how she is because I can always get off but B seemed quite happy once back in the courtyard and I got on politely and quietly and we set off with Jan and Cochise.
Breeze turned out to be the most LBI I have ever known her to be. In fact she had more whoa than go! Once or twice she went intro and hung her head so we just waited until she was ready to come round. When she just stopped to eat I let her for a while then if she didn't move on a smooch I only had to lift the lead rope and she would move. Nobody got tense or annoyed and all principles were kept in tact. In fact Breeze, after biting Cochise a few times and when Jan protected her herd of two, stopped and was happy to be next to him for a lot of the time. Then around the half way mark B realised we were heading for home and she decided to power ahead. My little confident RBI was back!

Everything is bursting into bud and so many birds were busying themselves in the bushes. We saw a little Munkjac deer and B wasn't bothered. By the time we got out of the old woods and along the viaduct B was in the lead and we got some lovely trot. I found she was too intent on looking anywhere but where she was going again so I experimented with just lifting and stroking the rein to ask her to face forwards. After a while she stopped looking out for trouble. We got the best trot ever along the mile and 1/4. She maintained gait at a nice steady pace until I asked her to walk, I almost felt like seeing if she would offer canter but her trot was so nice I didn't. Along the final part we did walk/trot transitions and I focussed on my balance and how little it took to ask for the transitions. Bliss.
B offered no resistance when I asked her to go past the exit so as soon as she went past we turned and left the woods and crossed the road to home.

Back on the yard B offered to stand on the pedestal. This is beginning to feel quite ordinary now lol. My stomach stays put and I no longer feel I will fall off. Jan took photos and I grinned. Days like this are just perfect and I couldn't wish for better. Oh and we were in the woods for an hour and a half! How good is that?

Carrot stretch!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cilla,
    Lovely to hear it is less cold now - you must be really enjoying that!

    Great to hear progress - I've done nothing really...

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all wishing spring and summer were here already.
    I am really enjoying my time with B but it is to the detriment of everything else lol. Come summer it will be too hot for me so I am making the most of the weather now.
    I know you haven't done much...no new posts to read!!!! I miss your posts x

    ReplyDelete