Sunday 1 August 2010

Oh yeahhhhhh!

I have just come back from one of the nicest rides. All our rides are usually good despite the odd mishap with trees and stuff but this one stands out because of our connection and me being able to tell when B was unconfident or confident. And more importantly, support and help her through the unconfidence.

We didn't play much beforehand. Yesterday and the day before we played in the school ever so gently with 5 minutes rest at one point, while I stroked B's head and let her think things over. We began the session with B doing as much side passing as she would offer, over a jump, turn and face, weave at the end of the 22' line and three laps of circle game in a soft slow calm walk at which point we left the school.

I found I was looking forward to our pre flight checks and getting on today! It feels like I am doing it all for Breeze and the asking permission really seals the deal lol. I have noticed that when I slow right down and am really quiet and gentle she really responds positively.

I noticed she was unconfident leaving the yard with lots of time to go over thresholds but once in the woods she walk off in front happily and with purpose. We led the way most of the time until we got rudely overtaken by some kids from our yard on their hyped up ponies. Unfortunately we met them hooning over a jump in the old woods and B got very RB and scared. When we asked them to remember some manners and stop and wait one of them got very insolent, which was a shame. I suspect they had very little control over what was happening and couldn't stop their ponies if they tried. Mostly I felt worried and concerned for B but it was a great test of my patience and savvy. I stayed relaxed and soothed her while she stepped backwards a bit, ready to run. She didn't run but listened to me and was WITH me. How marvelous. Sorry, I usually go off on how great I think it is to be 'in sync' with B about now, eh. I never stop feeling it's just magic to have that connection. There I go repeating myself again too lol.


How cool are these photos taken on the mile and 1/4 with us in the lead, relaxed and happy. I think they resemble the ones I have taken from Liz' back so much and that feels weird. It's also sad and bittersweet for me which is to be expected. I hope Lizzie is watching us and approves.

We practiced a lot of little things as we walked around the woods today like half halts and zig zags. I have always worried about B walking too close to the edge of the path where it drops into a ditch or worse, the river. Today I left her to go too near and she slipped. After that she stayed away from the edge, also when I asked her to move over so I wouldn't be bashed by low hanging trees she did.

Back at the yard - oh we passed the exit today without any mishaps, even stopping alone to let some kids pet B - B didn't want to leave my side so I left the rope on her withers and she mooched about with me as I did chores. I love my Breeze.

2 comments:

  1. Cilla this is lovely to read - really enjoy the details. She does have cute ears.
    Isn't it 'interesting' how 'well' we progress when we slow right down. I just need to rememeber to keep it slooooow!

    Sounds as if your confidence is growing heaps - well done!!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane!
    So difficult to slow down after having an LBI and needing to motivate lol. It also feels like 'cheating' when I don't do lots with B, only we get more for doing less. How interesting! I think I got so carried away with what she could do that I pushed her too far and now we see how little we can do and she loves me for it lol. Sooner or later she will offer more for less lol.
    Have since found out B was sent to a trainer as a youngster and hates schooling! Here we go again! Hopefully my experience with Lizzie and her hatred of schooling will help.
    I don't know where my confidence is coming from but I am not complaining lol! It's bloody marvelous!!! I have been revisiting all the stuff in the vaults about fear, RBI etc and I guess there is something about B that brings out the best in me :-).
    c x

    ReplyDelete