Thursday 29 July 2010

Being relaxed = better photos!

Breeze and I were both really chilled out today which was great considering I felt sick this morning as I knew I was riding. I am still puzzled by my fear but I respect it and listen to my thoughts. I do find that playing with Breeze and doing pre-flight checks really helps me feel positive and happy about riding. Knowing that B gives me permission to get on her back makes everything seem right.

With this in mind we went into the school first to warm up. Breeze immediately wanted to sidepass the cones instead of fig 8 so I let her give me as many side passes as she wanted to then asked for circle game very very gently. Breeze was happy to stay calm in walk and we did a lot of c.o.d. and we left the school.

Back in the courtyard Breeze stood still for me to put the saddle on and do the girth up for which she got treats. We played yo yo and lateral flexion then I asked her to stand by my steps and got ready to get on. When I asked to put my leg over the saddle she walked off so I jumped off and lined her up again. This time she didn't walk off and turned her head to look at me as I petted her shoulder. Nice. Then we stood for quite a while with Sandra, who was up on Bert, and chatted. I cannot stress how wonderful it is to have someone to ride with who respects all these little things we do. Sandra agrees with so many of the Parelli principles and always gives us time to do what we need to.

We had a marvelous ride. The horses took it in turns to lead. B still wants to bite Bert because he isn't fast enough for her, although she doesn't mind if she lets him go first when she gets unconfident. For the first time I managed to leave the reins on B's withers until I needed them, hence the non blurry photos. We did some lovely relaxed trotting for most of the mile and 1/4 and along some of the old woods. We are going on an 8 mile sponsored ride in a couple of months so it's time to start getting a little fitter.


So after having fun all the way round, including some 'off piste' dodging low branches, which Sandra has always wanted to make me go under ever since I got a taller horse than hers lol we got to the exit. Sandra and Bert carried on and B hesitated. I usually try to ask her to go past the exit but usually she won't be a partner and do so. Today was no exception. I waited and stroked her and asked her again. She turned and lunged forward under some low branches which smacked me in the face and nearly dragged me off! I was quite stuck for a second and, shame on me, I let out some expletives and told Breeze that I thought she was a very stupid horse! I remember grabbing the rein for lateral flexion and somehow staying on, extracating my head from the tree, while turning her (and still shouting ouch and stuff) we were trotting down the mile and 1/4 to where Sandra and Bert were.

When we stopped I realised how angry I was with Breeze and also how shocked and surprised. My glasses were bent and my face was stinging. I apologised to Breeze and let her spend a while eating as I stroked and scratched her and related the events to Sandra. After a while we headed back to the exit and the yard. Breeze was cuddly and didn't want to leave me again as I took her saddle off and put things away which was lovely and actually makes my heart sing. She stood close to me and wrapped her head and neck around me, probably just for a carrot but it was really great. Then it was off to the field with B trotting next to me down the runway.

This eve B's nose was still a bit snotty, but it's running clear now so I think she is getting better. I brushed the dried sweat from her back where the saddle had been, she tried to bite me and kept moving around me but I persevered. Approach and retreat, approach and retreat.

5 comments:

  1. pffff - I typed out a comment yesterday and closed the bloody window while it was thinking about showing me the spam code... I do that quite often thinking it's submitted... lol

    Well done for persistence..... you know - it's the journey and the never ending self improvement that's important - and about enjoying it - not always about whether or not the horse was your partner today.... imagine the pressure that puts on the horse.... :-)

    I was laughing out loud about the tree - I bet Breeze thinks that's a cool game.... lol... sounds like it's all going along spiffingly....

    Bronwyn has a new horse called Rose she's a strawberry roan with a clydie muzzle and face -15.2 maybe - we both had a ride on her today in a hackamore no less.... took a while to get Bronwyn to let go of the reins.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you Cilla - SO hard to stay emotionally fit when you get 'bashed' in some way....fortunately it happens very rarely with me and I'm sure with you too.

    Thats great you are respecting your fear - its there for a reason. Thanks for pics I love seeing the english woodland and bridlepaths - about the only thing I miss from the UK!!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, don't you just hate doing that! I read the post about Rose. How cool is that!?
    Do I sound too focused on Partnership? I wonder myself....It is still early days in our relationship but I was a little over excited about what B could do to begin with. Too much, too soon?
    I make observations about what I think is going on and think about it over and over but I was questioning how much pressure I may be putting unwittingly on Breeze. I will post about our games-circle game has begun to be difficult with B exploding very quickly, so I have had to re-assess and take things back to the beginning by asking very little of her.

    I don't think I stayed emotionally fit initially Jane! Sandra heard me shouting from 50' away! And B certainly trotted away from the exit very quickly but I checked myself and made amends lol.
    The bridle paths are lovely, eh? Glad you like the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah - I think just think back to Level 1 for a bit with her.... when we know so much it's easy to start at level 2...3 even with new horses....

    Also - try slowing your circle down - ask for her to go really slow with the very slightest ask.. then ask her to stop after 1/4 of a circle say.... see if that helps.... she may be thinking of lunging days and be afraid...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I was thinking that myself, so yesterday we went and I asked the tiniest of things and we got three lovely laps of very calm walk and ended it there.
    Hard to say if she thinks of lunging but it's a possible theory.
    We will work it out, together x

    ReplyDelete