Tuesday 24 August 2010

BFO!

We haven't used the round pen much lately. I think Breeze finds it too claustrophobic so today I set up a squeeze game with two panels of it. I asked her to come with me as I set the panels up which meant a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with B having to yield her HQ. I figured if I have to do it she may as well come along too lol. I think she quite likes it and offers 'put your nose on this' every time I got a bit set up. Plus we get to play back up when I open a panel out.

When it was set up we played yo yo game a few times with a treat when she came to me. The idea I have is to reward the draw so she learns not to pull on the line.

Speaking of backing up . . . . . having had time to lick and chew and read all I can about RBI again in the Savvy Club vaults and on the forum I tried to be more assertive today. I asked for some falling leaf and fig 8 which went ok. We had a little circle game but soon enough B refused and wanted to pull on the rope and go backwards. So with a blinding flash of the obvious I had Linda's voice in my head saying 'Backwards? Cool let me help you and see how fast and far we can go backwards!' Breeze went back wards the whole length of the school!

Whenever she gave me sideways I said thanks but I would like backwards and quickly please! Halfway down the short side of the school I asked her to circle and we got it! Beautiful trot, a little ragged at first with some head tossing, then she dropped her head and went around and around. I left her to do as many laps as she wanted which turned out to be at least 10 before she looked at me and asked to come in. I gave her a treat and let her rest and watched as she licked and chewed after munching the carrot. When I asked for change of direction she tried to back up again so I said 'let me help you!' This time B didn't go far and we had circle in walk then trot and some more cod then after a while she came in. Cool.

We played a bit more, sideways at the end of the 22' line with stops for blackberries which she picked herself, fig 8 around the cones, extreme friendly game, over a jump turn and face, then I asked B to come with me to put the panels away. Again she liked the game but realised there were lots of blackberries behind where I was stacking the panels so I left her ground tied to eat while I put the rest away.

I let her rest outside her stable and eat some hay while I mucked out then saddled up, which was really good again and headed for the woods.

Breeze went introverted again a couple of times so I waited and played friendly game until she was ready to carry on. We saw cockerel feathers along the way. I guess the foxes got the chicken last night. B went in and out if the 'log trailer' happily and we made our way to the top of the old woods.

It took a while for B to get into position and once I was up she really could not stand still for me to organise ropes and stirrups! It was pretty windy today and the occasional gust spooked her a little. It wasn't a very comfy ride to begin with. B did her choppy walk and trot. I was in two minds about getting on but I felt safe and calm and I don't want to start thinking I can only ride when conditions are' perfect'. We went straight home with a few transitions up and down and B was pretty calm. I could feel she was alert and she snorted a few times at dangers in the bushes. At the exit she turned and went back a little way when I asked so she got a lot of praise. Then into the car park where we did some circles and follow the rail.

I recognised someone who came to chat.. she used to ride Lizzie side saddle years ago and reminded me of the time when Lizzie dumped her out hunting. This lady is sure it was premeditated on Lizzie's part, which I am sure it was lol. That was Lizzie, the scheming, clever dominant LBI. She taught me such a lot, which is really helping me with Breeze. I hold her memory close to my heart. Remembering her still makes my eyes fill with tears and I miss her badly. My love for her hasn't diminished. Now I have love for and from two horses!

Breeze got a lot of praise and strokes and stood still for ages while we chatted. I was so proud of her and myself for our achievements and the relationship we have got in just three short months. She was happy to turn away from the yard and go to the back of the car park while the lady and I exchanged phone numbers. Then it was across the very busy road today and to the courtyard. It has taken a while for B to understand about standing still when I get off lol. She did have trouble staying balanced while I dismounted to begin with but she waits patiently now.

We walked together to the field and I smiled at how soft and gentle and polite we are with each other. Having Breeze in my life makes me feel very honoured. I watched her join the herd and marveled that such a beautiful creature could be mine. Then I got pestered for scratches by Patch and then Toby at the gate which I was more than happy to give.

2 comments:

  1. thats what I love about this programme - they have so many sayings that then we learn them and they become automatic to say (and then do) - its FAB

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then when someone says the saying we all immediately know exactly what it means!

    ReplyDelete