Sunday 4 July 2010

Little Miss Grumpy.


We had a play in the arena before riding today. We had some lovely calm circle game with cod in walk and trot to begin with. Then when I asked for circle game over some objects she couldn't do it lol. Instead she braced and pulled back and then gave me sideways over the jump and the barrels. So I took that offering and laughed. Breeze has such a cute expression when she does this, so innocent.

Saddling up was ok . . . if walking into her stable was B's idea of letting me put the saddle on her back! But with a little bit of approach and retreat the saddle was on. I tried to put her hackamore on sitting on the pedestal but had to stand up to do it up lol. Not bad for a first try. Breeze gave me quite a quizzical look and probably wondered what I was doing - if horses actually do that.

Getting on was lovely. I am really working on sticking to Parelli principles and taking my time to ask to put my leg over. She seems to really appreciate this and stood still for ages while I did my rope up. Then the games began! First B wanted to put her head over every stable door as we left the yard and annoy it's occupants. Lots of squealing ensued. Then as soon as we got in the woods she wanted to stop and eat every second/third step. Aha, that's the game, try and annoy me by not maintaining gate. So I just scratched her and let her eat, then wiggled the reins until she moved on. Very amusing, and Bertie and Sandra were disappearing into the distance up ahead, which I thought was cool because it's obvious she feels safe with me.

We caught up with Sandra and B gave the plastic bag wafting in the breeze, the hairy eyeball while Bertie ignored it. When asked to trot B was quite relaxed and not rushing but she couldn't maintain gait. It was like riding Lizzie all over again! Are mare's all moody or do I make them like that I wondered. Breeze has even decided Bertie deserves a bite on the bum or face or shoulder if we get too close and Sandra was savvy enough to block her as I didn't want to yank on the reins and didn't want to spook her by using the popper. I asked her to halt and wait while we were moving but she decided to try it whenever we stopped which wasn't very nice.

We trotted quite a bit this ride. I feel much more confident now since my ppl with Suzy. And since we have played with maintaining gaits on the circle game Breeze definitely feels more balanced and didn't rush. We will carry on with that.

Breeze became more relaxed as the ride went on and after some lovely trot around the old woods we did some weaving, fig 8's and circles around the trees. I am still in awe of having a horse that does as I ask happily. Breeze doesn't get bracey or resistant and seems eager to play. She really is light and responsive and it's wonderful to feel it and move as one. I hope I never lose this admiration for 'my' gorgeous Breeze lol.

Back at the yard we played briefly with backwards. I tried some sideways in the woods and although B could position herself to start it I think she doesn't understand what I am asking her to do. Plus I am probably unable to ask her correctly as yet. That's something we will practice in the arena soon. Then it was time to get off and get on with mucking out etc. Breeze makes that quite difficult sometimes as she likes to stand in her stable and eat from the haynet outside. She does make me laugh.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great ride. When she puts her head down to eat, instead of letting her just do it, try moving her to a spot thats better and then allow her to graze, that way it becomes your idea!!

    Keep it natural

    Sharon
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Sharon. Amazingly I know to play that game with her. I must have that arrow tucked away without thinking about it lol.
    Sometimes she does this insisting on eating at the beginning of the ride to see if I can be wound up. I am wise to this game and often try different approaches to see what works. It usually make's me laugh and I always see it as a game. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your approach to it, seeing it as a game instead of getting wound up. It's like one of those "How Interesting" moments.

    Great stuff

    Sharon
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Sharon you should read my latest post. Not much of a game in my opinion. Breeze has really shown her RBI side!! x

    ReplyDelete