Tuesday 27 July 2010

Passive, Polite Persistence or in other words Out-Donkey the Donkey!

The dialogue in my head began before I went to the yard this morning. . . trying to tell me that riding was a baaad idea etc etc etc. So I thought to myself I don't HAVE to ride, I will just see what horse is in the stable today, maybe saddle up and maybe go for a walk and maybe ride. Lol.
I took my time. B didn't want the halter on so we did some approach and retreat until she stuck her nose in the halter and lowered her head for me to do it up. I mucked out while B ate hay. Then saddled up, bumping her when she continued to walk forwards or backwards and rewarding her for standing still.

Breeze seemed unconfident again so I let her take her time with lots of resting and praise, sideways and HQ yields until we got to the old woods after some nice play around the trees. By this time she looked rideable and after a couple of tries she stood still for me to get on. She didn't immediately walk off but wanted to head straight home when I did ask her to move. I asked her to go down the straight but instead she turned and we headed down the old woods.

We didn't get far before B stopped and refused to move. I wonder if Pat and Linda know how many of us have their voices in our heads reciting just the right bit of savvy needed at the right time lol? Perhaps it's just me? But I heard Pat's voice in my head saying use passive, polite persistence and I just sat and let B think things over. Then I thought of Linda and how she says to give the horse time to stop if need be and take the time it takes to let the horse feel ready to move again. Every time she asked to turn I thought 'yes let's turn but let me help you keep turning until you face the way I would like to go'. Then I stroked and scratched her and waited some more, listening to songs on my ipod and singing along. This probably went on for 10 minutes or so, no more than a couple of songs on the ipod and several full circles. I stayed calm and remembered to breathe too! And then B gave a big sigh and set off around the old woods.

She needed a lot of praise and scratches to help her along. We trotted a few times but she couldn't maintain gait but that was ok because I got to ask politely a few times for trot and practicing transitions is always a good thing. Actually I am very grateful that she is so LB when we ride, despite the refusing to move. I think if she was inclined to be RB I wouldn't feel so good about things. As we got around the woods I felt her relaxing and blowing out and I just couldn't help but smile and thank Pat and Linda and appreciate all the savvy that has managed to get stored in my old brain.

We turned up the straight and I asked for trot again. Breeze got a little fast so I asked for walk with just a tweak on the rope and she slowed and relaxed some more. She was even lighter today in her response to me lifting the rein and asking for turns etc. I now try and see how little it takes to ask which is really wonderful. Even passing two other horses didn't make B do anything but continue on our way. How cool is that. She responds so well to me I can hardly believe it and it feels again like we are partners. I never get tired of feeling that.

Back at the yard she couldn't take her eyes off me and followed me wherever I went. We walked to the field but she didn't seem to want to leave me at the gate so we walked together into the field some distance. I scratched her a bit more and then she decided she could now leave and find the herd. I felt quite honoured if thats the right word, that she didn't want to leave me immediately. Nice to know I am good company, eh. There's nothing like approval from your horse, is there.

Breeze has a very snotty nose that I didn't fully notice until we got back to the yard when she wiped it all over my arms. Yellow and quite disgusting. I can handle blood, gore, vomit, and poop. Anything but snot. Yuk! Must be a mild bug that's going around. I will keep an eye on her and hope she feels better in a few days. It might explain her lack of confidence and that she drank a lot of water over night.

No comments:

Post a Comment