Monday 5 July 2010

Feets!

Left front


Left back


Right front


right back

Breeze has been barefoot for about 9 or 10 weeks now. She was trimmed before she came to me and I let our farrier trim her again a couple of weeks ago. I have been trying to rasp the chips and splits as soon as I see them and try to do a 'mustang roll' but in the process I have rasped the end of one finger nail off twice!! Probably because I am stupid enough not to remember to wear gloves.

I have been reading as much as I can about barefoot trimming both in books and online. I think I am beginning to understand it now but am still worried about it lol. While reading stuff online I came across a tool called a RidersRasp (tm) and bought one. I am hoping it will make the 'mustang roll' easier and save me a fortune on plasters!

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely get a trimmer that only does barefoot - they will have the knowledge to help you see what's happening - looks like she's getting some good concavity on the right feet.... the heel looks a little high on the inside (only) right back and front - hard to tell but also looks like some good callousing forming on there (you can see it overlapping towards the hoof wall)... the pictures are a bit blurry to see much else.... get someone else to take them while you hold or visa versa LOL - overall they look just fine - keep up with the mustang roll all round once a week.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice Vicki. I think they are callousing well. But my, they are very hard! And I noticed the other day that the farrier had rasped the whole of the outside of her hooves more than half way up the hoof wall!!!!! I read that's the worst thing anyone could do!
    c x

    ReplyDelete