Friday 23 July 2010

Hoof boots

I am always intrigued to see how B will react to new things. As an RBI I usually expect some kind of reaction from her. This time it was Bert who jumped in the air when he took a step wearing the boots. Breeze did her lifting of the leg thing which meant I tightened the boots up holding her leg lol. Then walked calmly around like there was nothing different.
I rasped a little off her right hoof after trying the boots on just to make sure the hoof sat snugly in the boot.

These are Old Mac G2's which suit both Bert and B's round hooves. The boots are quite stiff and once you get the hang of all the velcro and straps, doing them up is quite easy but it will take a few wearings before they can be done up snugly enough. No rush. B has them 'just in case' so they aren't needed at the moment. It's Bert who needs them now so that he can be ridden out in the woods.


I left B out in the field Wednesday evening. I needed a break and I think she did too. I did wonder what mood she would be in and instead of asking her to do stuff we chilled and had a mooch about in the boots and that was it. It's surprising how much time is taken up by things like this. In fact sometimes I think time is swallowed up in some kind of black hole the minute I step out of my car at the yard.

I really need to remember B and I haven't been together very long and although she is keen to do stuff I must be aware not to do too much to soon. I forget we are doing stuff that is totally new to her and she needs time to lick and chew, as do I. Last night it was great to see she has stopped creeping closer when we stand and do nothing and how soft her eyes and expression are. I had to smile at Bert sneaking past Sandra while we were talking. I love LBI's and how they take back leadership bit by bit without their humans noticing. Lizzie did it to me all the time.

2 comments:

  1. They certainly are proving to be worth every penny. Have you used them,Vicky? x

    ReplyDelete