Tuesday 6 July 2010

Solo ride

The RidersRasp (tm) came this morning while we were out riding! I can't wait to try it out lol.

I wanted to play with B this morning before saddling her but someone had turned a horse out in the arena that probably wouldn't appreciate us playing in there so we did a little around the yard and I saddled B in the courtyard. It was pretty easy and quick again but not as pleasant as it will be in the future. Breeze will stand still now for the saddle on the second try but today she was too inetrested in sniffing poo, treading on the rope and scaring herself. When I go to do the girth up she either walks off or lifts a front leg and waggles it foal - like, as if she is asking me not to hurt her. At least that is my interpretation of it and I may be wrong. I do it up so slowly and carefully with play in between and still she does this behaviour. Hmm interesting.

We played and walked to the old woods with some lovely circle game and weaving but B wasn't relaxed enough to get on. She seemed unconfident but not RB and would stare off into the distance listening for things. She did everything I asked of her calmly but she didn't really seem to be with me in her mind. I went through the usual stuff and tried to get on but I felt hesitant especially as she would walk off when I bounced in the stirrup. Actually she did not look rideable so I upped the tempo and asked her to sideways in both directions including turning a corner for a while, then jump the log a few times until she could stand still. That fixed it and then I got on!


She set off in a fast walk while I did the rope up and then I asked her to trot because it felt like she needed to move her feet. I am managing to let the reins stay long and I no longer have the desire to hold them tight lol. Casual rein I say to myself, casual rein lol. That calmed her and we had some nice trot but her walk was choppy for a while - you can probably guess that from the rubbish photos I have posted lol - until I stroked and soothed her and we did some half halts. Then we had a nice calm walk/trot home back to the yard.

Instead of getting off I asked B to continue around the yard and to the arena gate. This meant going past other horses and negotiating badly parked cars etc but she took it in her stride. We got to the arena gate where B spooked at a sparrow lol and carried on past onto the rough ground and back to the courtyard, then out again to the car park. All the time she changed direction with a lift of the rein very lightly. This approach and retreat to the arena bolstered my confidence and I plan to do this more often and for longer every time we ride.

B's backwards is getting easier and she immediately understands what I am asking for now and can do quite a few steps. Lovely. Fast learner, eh?

I am so pleased that I persevered and didn't give up the idea of riding today. I could so easily have made excuses and walked home but I didn't listen to the negative voice in my head but made sure we were partners and B was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment