Saturday 18 June 2011

Playtime and successful riding!

My extrovert horse after riding

We had an amazing play in the arena this morning before Sarah the trimmer came. I think I read B right this week and gave her some space and time to be a horse.

She seems so easy to teach things to these days. Claire had given me some arrows for fig 8 in trot which I tried today with great success. So much so that B offered canter around the cones. I really enjoyed being energetic and expressive and bringing my energy up to match B. Made me laugh a lot despite being a little out of breath. Hardly noticed the rain as we carried on playing, we were having so much fun. I got to stay in neutral while B cantered a lap or so in both directions. So pleased.

I was having a few doubts the last few days about what was going on with B and I. I should really try and trust my own instincts eh? I knew she needed some time to think things over and I needed time to be a human. Looks like it paid off too judging by her great attitude today.

After the visit from Sarah the barefoot trimmer I just felt like riding so I saddled B and we had a mosey around the yard then went into the arena. Sandra kindly marked out a circle for me in the sand and we tried some follow the rail around the circle. I don't know but it seemed like a lot of corrections to keep her on track. I wonder if it's me lacking focus but actually I don't think I feel I know how to focus to ask her to follow a mark in the sand! We stopped in the middle a couple of times for B to rest and stay calm. We did a bit of fig 8 then some follow the rail of the arena. I took B to the gate but she turned and headed away so that earned her a rest in our circle and some scratches. I think she did really well considering there were a couple of teenagers in with us trying to get their ponies to jump. Lots of predator noises but B stayed calm and almost ignored them completely.

We tried some back up over a pole and then we attempted sideways but I don't think B understood what I was asking. More practice needed on that one, meaning I need to learn how to ask the question properly lol. It will probably have to wait for my freestyle lessons with Claire in August. But I am so pleased with the pair of us. I worry so much sometimes about losing the calm I have worked so hard to find. I have in my mind how it feels when we play on the ground and I want to feel that normality when we ride too, no matter where. We are still taking it slowly to counteract B's negative start in life and my residual fears with lots of approach and retreat. It felt really good to ride today, like it was just another ride. I have had a tendency to think of riding as a big important event for such a long time. I am relieved to start to feel its a nice, easy, 'normal' thing to do.
I dream about B and I riding in the arena. We do all kinds of things like clover leaf in walk, trot and canter. In my dreams B has the most beautiful slow, collected canter and I always feel relaxed and very happy. One day I hope that will be a reality! Claire has suggested I bring my camera to our lessons and she will film me playing and soon enough riding. That is really something to look forward to and cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment