Tuesday 7 June 2011

Day 3 of Follow the Rail

I reckon I am getting a lot better at setting up the circle already. Takes less time too as no one seems to be disturbing the cones or jump sides.

Today our warm up was accompanied by Brown Bertie being ridden in the arena and it made B very erratic. B Bertie is B's beau. She adores him and is part of his mini herd of five when they're out in the fields. That and all her herd mates being out in the field made for an interesting time. Unsurprisingly when Bertie left the arena B was a different horse.

We did some Rock Slide, sideways, just general play and warm up. It all flows nicely these days. Circle game was a bit erratic, even on the 45' until Bertie left when B gave me some lovely relaxed trot for 10 laps both ways.

Time to saddle up and get on. Interesting follow the rail today. Three laps in on the left rein B decided to not follow the rail so I bent her to a stop and when she was calm we set off again. She blew out after that and actually went round with her head down, her nose just above the ground and I sensed she really was getting the idea of things. The other way she needed a few more corrections and very oddly, I noticed, when I looked down I saw something that looked like a sock. On closer inspection it was! One of my socks...one I wore yesterday lol. It must have been hiding in my jeans and worked its way out! I am a little ashamed about this but as I can never resist a bit of humour especially if it's at my own expense I decided to share this.

Our laps done I asked B for some fig 8 which was nicely done, stopping at the barrels for treats. Although this is a little problematic as every time B went to eat the treats she blew them off with her breath lol.

Feeling relaxed and brave I asked B to trot the follow the rail. This was an oh boy moment because although she managed two laps on the left rein, the other way she just couldn't do it. We got about a 1/4 of a lap and B got so unconfident I had to let her stop. We went into the middle of the circle to help her chill and I ended it there and got off.

I unsaddled B and let her loose in the arena. She had a roll and then went to the corner nearest the fields to look at the herd. I let her catch me, left the arena and turned her out with her field mates. Then it was time to put everything away. It's funny carrying my saddle to and from the arena. It reminds me of Stoneleigh, only its a much, much shorter walk. I thought about this as I put all the stuff away. I thought about how my main concern at the moment is how to maintain the impetus and momentum I have brought back with me from Stoneleigh and the Flex Track. I am also keen to maintain the feeling of contentment and self confidence I came back with. I guess I am worried that the dreaded fear will overcome me again and I might lose all this that I have, it seems magically, gained. I hope not. I will do my best to be progressive and not lose sight of what I would like our future to hold. Savvy on!

No comments:

Post a Comment