Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 2 of Follow the Rail.

Here's a photo of the improved circle for Follow the Rail. I tried hard to pace it out and get things as round as I could and I seem to have done a good job.

We had great fun warming up. Rock slide pattern, sideways etc and then circle game in trot for 10 laps each way, only B became excited at seeing her field mates out in the adjacent field and the 22' line slipped out of my hand. Well, she went bonkers for a while, bucking and farting around the arena, the 22' snaking along with her and not helping lol. Sandra and Bert carried on playing and I had the presence of mind to close the arena gate while she was in the opposite corner and let her burn off some energy. She caught me quite nicely and we resumed circle game to get her calm. It was obvious she wasn't ridable just yet so I let Sandra go ride the woods without us. Seemed like the best plan as at that point I didn't know when she would be ridable.

It actually didn't take long for B to be calm and relaxed so we saddled up in the arena and I got on. Despite B's exuberant bucking I felt the now usual calm in my guts and smiled at the change in me.
Today we were accompanied by someone lunging their horse in circles and over jumps with lots of hissing and whip cracking. B and I took little notice, but just enough to stay away from them if they got close to our 'rail'. A great way to desensitize both of us again.
We had a few corrections mostly on the right rein and a little blowing out. It will be interesting to see at what point B learns the pattern and really relaxes.

Before our session today I had a play around with the shimming on my saddle. Now that I have more idea about balance point for saddles, as well as riders, (we had a shimming demo on the Flex Track) I did the old 'lip salve' test and shimmed accordingly to make the saddle more balanced. B is a bit 'downhill' and has obviously changed shape lately. It made a big difference along with dropping the stirrups back down a hole. No pain at all and no numb feet. Woohoo! Perhaps I have saved myself quite a few hundred pounds?? We will see.

Did I say I bought a Country Bridle? Yes, a black one, is there any other colour? Unfortunately the bit was out of stock so I am trying not to gnaw my fingers to the wrist waiting for the bit to arrive by post. I keep trying to remember to bring the bit I have left at the yard home, so I can assemble it all.


1 comment:

  1. Great - good to see you being able to use the arena - I'd love one like that

    ReplyDelete