Thursday 17 March 2011

Trot? Certainly!

Today our play was really, really good. I was able to take a few photos while B was out on the circle, happily maintaining gait and direction. Once or twice she threw what I can only describe as a small tantrum because she decided to be LB and change direction. To deal with this I found I could bump her to a stop and ask again. She will shake her head at me and try not to do as I ask. This makes me laugh and I mirror her by stamping my foot and spanking the ground with my c/s! (Not too much though, just enough rhythmic pressure to put my point across effectively). Off she goes nicely in trot in the direction I asked.


The other day I asked B to canter and we got almost a 1/4 circle before she got too emotional. She used to be like this with trot so I expect canter will happen one day. Taking the time it takes!

I cannot tell you how good driving game is getting! I can direct her from almost the end of the 22' line. Breeze is so light! Closer, we are playing with moving B's front end while her back feet stay still. She's not so good with moving her HQ and keeping her front feet still. Yet.
I am learning to be light too and even holding the line differently. I think it's almost like not having a line at all...I realise now I used to rely on that line and direct B about with it. Great prep too for c/s riding, not to mention the holy grail . . Liberty.

I have begun to treasure the moments when B needs a rest, when she lowers her head and goes slightly introverted. I use this time to rest too and stroke/massage her head and ears. Sometimes it's not the appropriate thing to do but when it is, there's nothing like it. Once in a while she will let me wrap an arm gently around her head and stroke her cheek. The hair under her forelock is soft and fluffy and I get to scratch those lovely ears. It no longer worries me or makes me feel at all sorry for her.

I keep saying it, but it all feels different. Lighter. Better. Get your better best. Never let it rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment