Sunday 6 March 2011

Didn't expect that!

As the week has gone by I have been getting a little too thoughtful about my relationship with B. In retrospect this usually means things are going to change, and for the better!
Wednesday was another 'turn out day' so I spent the evening scraping mud from B and little else. Thursday I had time to spend the morning with her so we got saddled up and went for a play in the woods before riding home. It went well but I found myself wishing for more. When I had got on in our usual place at the top of the old woods, the only direction B would agree to go in was home! She did act like a partner and go past the exit without hesitation.

Thursday evening we had a great play in the arena concentration on circle game, asking B to maintain gait and direction. We ended the session when B gave me a whole lap in relaxed trot but I could see a lot of resistance from B leading up to that one lap. Friday was another turn out day so it was back to mud scraping in the evening.

Saturday I had to work so didn't have a lot of time for play. It was more a case of exercise really so we did a lot of follow the rail online with circles at the four corners in the arena. Circle game has been great in walk but upping the gait makes B snotty, bracy and then unconfident. It took a lot of emotional fitness on my part to not get annoyed with B or myself. I just had to remind myself that this is how Breeze is and rather than focus on what we can't do, I was ok with being able to not push B and in fact just allow her to set the time line. Very hard for me when I am reading a lot about Pat Parelli and his new colt and what a stunning relationship they have in a matter of days. A little bit of jealousy there I wonder lol. But I am not Pat and B probably has a lot more baggage than Pat's colt. I can only guess anyway. I know, its a waste of emotion so I will put that to the back of my mind.

It was the same Saturday evening. Breeze ok in walk but ask for trot and you are asking for trouble. I persevere tho. I ask gently, quietly but persistently and reward the slightest try. It's not all frustration though. Other games are great and generally Breeze is very content in her surroundings and herself.

This morning we had the usual trouble with trot on the circle game. Although she gets bracy I can ask her in quite easily and she will trot to me! I didn't push her though and accepted what ever she could do. Which included a rather nice jump over a jump on the way out of the arena followed by turn and face and jump towards me. Nice.

We left Sandra and Bert playing in the arena and got saddled up. Here is where the surprises come in...B allowed me to saddle her from the left! That's a first! I just did it without thinking. Then we went to the mounting block and Breeze lined herself up and I got on. We hung out there for a while. Sandra was playing a lot longer than usual and told me later Bert was being quite snotty. Breeze and I watched them for a while then B just walked forwards right into the arena towards Sandra and Bert! They left to get Bert's boots on. Breeze and I did some follow the rail, weave in and out of the cones and some Fig 8!!!!! All the time B was happy and relaxed. I just let her do what she liked and when she was ready to leave we did. At the gate she stood for ages, relaxed and settled as Sandra got on Bert and we were ready to go for a ride.

Breeze was a little resistant to leaving the yard. She tried to nap and we ended up doing some lateral flexion to calm her, then she just got on with it. We let the horses eat for a long time down by the 'not so scary today' green banner by the golf course. We tried some trotting but I just could not relax and neither could B. I seem to be developing a bad habit of shortening the rein instead of just having a loose rein with one hand. Tsk tsk. It was a good ride tho. The horses even rode side by side and none of the spooks either horse did were too bad. Breeze was calm enough to let someone go past us from our yard and she didn't want to follow. She did want to lead Bertie tho and I always enjoy being in the front lol.

So. What a surprise to have B offer to go into the arena and for me not to get stressed about it. It's a big thing for both of us and took me by surprise. Makes me think, no matter how down I get sometimes about my perceived lack of progress with B, we are making a lot of progress just by me letting B tell me what she needs. I should perhaps not just listen to her but believe I am making the right choices too.

1 comment:

  1. nice to read these words Cilla
    "rather than focus on what we can't do"
    lol
    xx

    ReplyDelete