Tuesday 8 March 2011

Change of plan.

Tuesday morning I thought B and I would do our usual play/walk in the woods, get on and ride home. That was the plan anyway. We went for a mosey to the arena and have some grazing time and found there were five horses loose in there. Usually when I have put B in there with others she has asked to get out of there pretty quickly. Today was different so I took her halter off and hung around with the herd. I have never seen her groom so many other horses or be groomed back. Looks like she has settled in finally. Whenever she got worried or spooked she ran to me tho. Good to know we have a bond as strong as that.

An hour passed by as I watched the herd dynamics and scratched some butts. All the other horses took it in turns to sniff the c/s and me. Lovely. Then they were gone and B and I had a bit of a play. Only this all happened two days ago and my head is now full of our lesson which I will blog about next! So I haven't a clue what we did, but it must have been good because B was happy and relaxed.

We left the arena and went back to the courtyard. A lot of time had gone by so I thought maybe we could play some approach and retreat with saddling up. I had given up on the idea of riding in the woods and with no agenda we could spend time taking our time. Breeze was very happy about this and we were ready in no time so I got on. We did a couple of circuits of the car park and around the back of the pony block, then went back to the arena gate for some grass.

While B was grazing I had time to reflect on how far we have come. When I started to recover from that damn accident I didn't think I could ever be this relaxed on a horse again. But here we are. Suddenly Steph came round the corner on Grace and we chatted a while. I suggested we go into the arena and B happily followed Grace.

We did some follow the rail, fig 8 around the cones and walked calmly around. I didn't want to ask too much of B so we left with Steph and Grace after that. But what a great success that was. My plans had changed and we then accomplished something big for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment