Thursday 24 March 2011

Lesson with Claire.

My legs are killing me!!! I have walked half way around the world today...or so my legs would have me believe. Very interesting lesson and it seemed like I haven't seen Claire in ages.

Before our lesson B and I went for a long graze in the shade of the woods. She was a darling. Relaxed and happy, she offered to walk past the exit and stayed calm.

I am sorry to say, yet again, I have been told how well we have progressed! Gotcha!! Not just a little, but a lot. So pleased about this. Claire was impressed with our circle game. Today we spent some time asking B to canter and not getting it. But that's ok. I knew it was time to up my game and ask for more, I just didn't know how. Breeze is so unconfident learning new stuff and really needs care that it doesn't shut her down. Now I know what to do and I am sure, given a few days, we will get there.
The other focus in the lesson was driving game from zone 4/5. Me being the way that I am, I read this wrong and tried to go way back in zone 5 which made B lose confidence. It seems I get in a lesson and become someone who just wants to show how much we know lol. And blow it completely!
We did get it and pretty quickly once I remembered to stay close to her and support her. We got walk, trot, stop and back up, through obstacles like cones etc. I missed a couple of unconfident moments for B but she forgave me.

The last two evenings the horse that turned up was a brat! Definite LB I don't want you to touch me! I had to assert my leadership despite B trying to back up with her head in the air. We worked it out in the arena and got 12 laps in trot on the circle game. I did question how I handled it but Breeze was happy to see me the next morning both times and tonight she was happy and cuddly. That was good enough feedback for me!

How Breeze has changed lately from the spooky innate RB to the relaxed LB she is now. I was dragging the remains of the haylage bale, the remnants of a bag of shavings and a sack barrow across the courtyard. Another horse tied up was quite upset but not too worried because I took it slowly. Breeze, munching on haylage outside her stable turned to watch me. I dumped the stuff next to her and she sniffed the black plastic holding the haylage. Then she stuck her nose into the bag and started to eat the remaining haylage. Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment