Sunday 13 March 2011

Rainy Sunday.

It's been a fabulous week since my lesson. Things continue to step up a level, almost as if I have a different horse. I am reading her better, although that's always been pretty good. Breeze is giving me more. More obedience, more motivation, more energy. She is less extreme when she goes RB and less introverted when she goes inside herself and comes out very quickly.

For the first time in ages we got wet today playing in the arena. It was very interesting because Eve had driven a trailer in and done some loading practice with her horse. Breeze was quite shocked to see them in there..in her eyes they don't belong there, obviously. They left and we got on with playing. Circle game was marvelous, over a jump too. We have had a little unconfidence with fig 8 in trot so I asked for walk today just to get it in her brain again. Then the rain came down. I tried to ignore it but it got more wet and so we left and went back to the stable. I saddled up under cover and B was great.

The rain eased and I noticed Eve was back so we went and investigated. Eve had put her horse away so I knew we had a few minutes to have a look. Breeze stopped in her tracks when she saw the trailer was back in the arena but soon wanted to go see it. She snorted and stared at it but slowly inched closer and then stood on the side ramp while I stood leaning against the trailer side. She got off, then back on and stuck her nose right inside to have a look. We didn't hang around long because I knew Eve wanted to get the trailer back to the loan company. It was a good way to introduce it in prep for our journey to Stoneleigh which is coming up fast. I may need to hire a trailer for a days play myself.

Sandra and Bert had joined us to play around the trailer and we all retreated to the other side of the arena to play as Eve drove away. By this time B had become quite RB and needed to move her feet. We had lots of circle game in trot, cod and back the other way. She wasn't too RB and was almost beginning to lower her head and lick and chew when the heavens opened again and we had to go and shelter. That was a good exercise in standing patiently and waiting which involved a little gentle bumping when B moved. This seemed to focus her intently on me which was pretty cool.

Back in the arena B was very calm and we didn't need to do much to ascertain that she was happy and ridable. Asking her to line up by the mounting block was brilliant and I was on. She needed to move her feet so we went for a walk while Sandra got on. Suddenly here was a very confident happy Breeze who took the lead after one small hesitation. We were off across the road and down the mile and 1/4. Lots of stopping to eat for the horses and chat for us humans which is a great way to start the ride. By the first turn B was eager to get going and we trotted most of it in the lead! I have stopped hanging on to the reins, relaxed and we can now trot on a casual rein again. Breeze doesn't have a very smooth trot, I have to say, but later on playing a million transitions helped her even out.

We had a great ride. B was listening to me and we did some circling and zig zag, as I focussed on using my whole body to turn, not just relying on the reins. Both horses seem to be more independent of each other these days. Bert tells B off for crowding him and she respects his space in return. They can happily walk side by side. We went 'off piste' with some marvelous squeeze game through gaps in the fence! So tight I caught my right leg and scraped my shin painfully on the way out. This took three goes of approach and retreat with B staying perfectly calm each time. Breeze was so confident she went in front all the way even though she didn't know the way. Just goes to show how much she has changed in her opinion of me as a leader.

We trotted ahead up the hill and then waited for Sandra and Bert. Breeze was so relaxed I let the reins rest on her withers, despite one spook, which had me automatically push my hands on her neck in the power position! Then we carried on again as if nothing had happened! She was like this all the way home. Relaxed and happily walking along. Me? I rode along grinning like an idiot.

Back on the yard B was cuddly and wanting to be with me as she usually is after a ride. One day I will see if we can do some liberty when she is in this mood although we already mosey around the courtyard together at liberty. We go to the shed and put her saddle away, when she comes right in! As you can see in the photo, she got up on both pedestals just for fun. I love my little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment