Tuesday 1 March 2011

Partnership and Patience

That nasty thing fear arose in the pit of my stomach this morning. Simple because last night I told Sandra I would be riding today. I had to have a word with myself about what it was exactly I might be afraid of and that I wasn't riding just any horse. I might be riding my own lovely Breeze, not an unknown one that might throw me onto some rocks again.

I woke up with a rotten headache, further discussion with neighbours made me think it was a bug going round. I thought perhaps I wouldn't ride after all, but having been re-reading Dr Steph Burns 'Move closer, stay longer' I though I could do some approach and retreat for me, not just B.
Did my chores after taking B for a graze around the yard. I groomed her as she ate lol. As soon as she saw the saddle she backed into her stable and hid. I know what she thinks of that then. We played stick your nose on it with bits of carrot popping up now and again on the saddle. We had a little resistance about putting the saddle on her back but she soon settled and wanted to play with the pedestal. In fact she was on and off both pedestals all morning. Very sweet. I even got to brush the mud from her legs as she stood on both pedestals. You get a good look from the ground lol.

We set off and met lots of thresholds. i waited or just stroked the line and we soon got over the road and into the woods. B was pretty unconfident and I really did think perhaps today was not a riding day. I didn't really help either because to begin with I just couldn't find a way to ask her to do stuff. My head just wasn't in the right space lol. But I realised I wasn't being effective so I asked for sideways and a lot of yo yo in and out of the log trailer. More sideways towards home and some yo yo in between two trees. Breeze softened, relaxed her head and blew out! This was a definite sign so we moseyed to the bit of tree stump just the right height for getting on. I stood on the stump after tying the 22' up into reins, Breeze positioned herself exactly right and I got on! Seemed like a definite invitation to me! She didn't exactly wait for me to daisy chain the line up but I relaxed and she slowed down so I let the reins sit on her withers and tied it as we went along.

We were only a short ride from the car park so I asked for some zig zag, turning away from the exit before we got to near and then going past. B offered no hesitation or brace so we left the woods and went home.

Back on the yard I asked her to do a circuit of the car park. I didn't feel brave enough for the arena, I was getting short of time but didn't want to get off. Also I wanted to see if she could continue to be my partner. The first go around the car park she was slightly hesitant, blowing and snorting and finding things to be worried about. The second time we went the other way and although she snorted she didn't hesitate. We stopped off and chatted to Steph grooming Kes and I am very happy to say B stood still and relaxed. Talk about patient partner! I could have hugged her neck and squeezed her till she couldn't breath I was so happy! Instead I smiled on the inside and it felt great to be there at that moment. This is the horse that just could not be relaxed and didn't understand the concept of neutral lol. I lifted the rein, thought about walk and she walked forwards, light as a feather. We went around the back of the courtyard and then to her stable where I got off. Brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment