Saturday 26 June 2010

Stunning Saturday.

The last of five baby swifts have finally left their nest in my shed. They have been having fun pooping on B's brand new rug but I have brushed it clean and the rain will do the rest of the job for me.

It's very hot here and going to be hotter! It makes playing in the school an ordeal for me and B tends to get sweaty too but we braved it today anyway. I took the c/s and bag, 22' and 45' lines. Today B was less RB and we managed cod on the circle game with just one small explosion. I tried out the 45' and can ask B to weave and sidepass cones at over 30' away. I am still quite messy with it but that will improve. Her jump and stand and face me was lovely too so we ended the play there with some stick to me in a roundabout way to the gate

.
I got my June savvy club dvd the other day and watched the whole of it. It was riveting despite being about a LBI horse. What a difference it made to saddling up and riding! I was a lot more assertive when saddling and bumped B when she walked off and backed her up briskly. Consequently with two tries of swinging the saddle it was on her back! Same with girthing up, she walked off a couple of times but I backed her up and when she stood still she got a carrot and we did the girth up in three stages with some yo yo and yield HQ in between.

Breeze stood very still for me to get on, gracefully, and while I did the rope up. Then she walked off into her stable. I managed to one rein stop her but when I let go she stomped into her stable with me ducking madly. She was happy to leave and again when we went round the corner she made for the aisle. I stopped her again and we played with some more of this stop, start until she could walk straight and we left the yard.

Breeze decided she would like to lead today as we set off down the mile and 1/4 for a change. She was a little sensitive on this stony part because she was trimmed Thursday and I am not too pleased with the farriers' juniors' job. Time I made the effort for the podiatrist to come and assess her. When she reached a threshold I asked Sandra if Bertie could lead for a while. This happened a couple of times but mostly we were in the lead and I really worked on my moving with B and she seemed very happy about that. We took a detour down one road out of the woods to weave along some fence posts and B was great at that!

We came accross a bunch of teenage hikers sitting on the ground picnicing by the viaduct which made Bertie spook because they made stupid hooting noises. Without a word I circled them one way and Sandra the other while they squirmed wondering what we would do. Sandra explained to them we were returning the favour. They spooked her horse so we were spooking them! It was all very good natured but I think they will have second thoughts next time.

Breeze set off in the lead again all the way around the old woods. At one point I felt her get tense and I thought perhaps she might need to move her feet and when she offered me trot I took that and we had the best smooth trot so far all the way along the uphill bit of the old woods. I kept relaxed and moved my upper body in time and pedalled my feet. We were both nicely balanced and enjoying ourselves. Later on we weaved around the trees and I noticed B had really got the idea of steering, she is light and responsive and very bendy for such a big horse.

She must have worked out where we were at the top and walked off with quite a purpose but I found very small half halts slowed her and helped her feel calmer. I even had chance to play with bending at my ribs to see if she would bend hers and I think it went well, lol.

Today B stopped a few times to eat and I did up my phases a few times to ask her to move on by just lifting the popper end of the rope and very gently slapping it around my shoulders. I never had to slap it more than twice so we all stayed happy about it. B is such a lovely natured horse. I am so proud and pleased with both of us. We don't argue or fight and she is such a quick learner she makes me feel clever too.

We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out and I showed someone on the yard what I mean by Parelli basics and the 7 games. She seems keen to know about Parelli and I have offered to show her some safety basics tomorrow. I am fully aware that I must not walk in the wrong direction with this girl but I admit I was pleased to show her the 7 games with B, it tests my knowlege and I like the opportunity to be a good ambassador. Plus I get to play with a new horse!

P.s. I asked B for her first steps in backing up while riding today. We got a couple of steps three times. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment