Friday 4 June 2010

Partners?

Wednesday evening Sandra and I went for a walk with the horses and got on at the old woods. We played in the school first and Breeze was in quite a bracy mood. But I thought I had got her in a better mood and that all was ok.

Breeze was quite happy all the way to the old woods and I got on easily. We set off down the old woods with just a couple of hesitations. I have been watching more of my Parelli DVD's and going back over beginning to ride Parelli style. It was very interesting to note how much I took everything for granted with Lizzie and that B doesn't know as much as Lizzie did lol. So I have gone back to basics and B has responded very well to me doing some pushing passenger and really getting to move with her.

When we got to the turn to go down to the viaduct B just couldn't go. She tensed up and I knew there was a chance she might bolt if I tried to push her into going the way she didn't want to. I knew we weren't partners! I called to Sandra that we needed to go home and the minute I asked B to head for home she relaxed and took the lead. B even went past the exit happily and I ended it there and we went home. Sandra carried on but I found out later that Bert lost all his confidence and they came home not long after us.

I have had a couple of days to think things over. I think I have started to get too direct line this week and have got carried away with the excitement of things lately. So this evening I spent some time playing with saddling up very slowly and carefully until B was happy to have the saddle on without moving or pulling faces. I broke it all down using the saddle pad first. Every time B moved (usually backwards) I backed her up some more! It only took a couple of goes. Lovely. Then we went for a play in the woods with lots of sideways and treats. We had a very pleasant half hour together and I really got to grips with moving zone 1 which I realised hasn't been very good. What a great way to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment