Tuesday 26 April 2011

Softness and feel.

While performing the monumental task of sorting out my neglected piles of paperwork yesterday, I found this! I did this chart after I first visited B and it's incredible to see how she has changed. I had to tell myself off at first for thinking negatively and wondering if I had filled the chart incorrectly. But these were my honest first impressions of B. No wonder I thought she was a RBI.

Speaking of change...both B and I have changed enormously lately. I am really pushing the edges of my comfort zone some more and finding lots of things to do with B that I have wanted to do for such a long time. Not just to do with B either really, but to further my own horsemanship generally. I think it has really helped to have the Humanality report and see that I am innately a LBI which could be why I have experienced thresholds with riding in the arena. All arena riding meant to me was boredom and stress for my horse. I had no plan in my head. All I had was rising panic and worry.

Today we played in the arena on the 22' to begin with. Driving game is going well, I think. I might be wrong lol. We will see what Claire thinks in a couple of weeks time. Fig 8 and weave, check. Changed to the 45' which is now becoming quite familiar in feel. I tried some two rein driving just to introduce it to B. I have been watching some footage on the Parelli Connect site about it. She was ok but more time is needed on that.

Now that I can ask B to canter on the circle game and she is calm, I thought we might try some transitions, in particularly slowing down. A very strange and difficult concept for B! I blew her mind again when we did walk, trot, finally canter and instead of going full pelt, slow down and trot or walk. Then I asked her in...for slowing down!!! To make sure she got the idea we did that a couple of times and to see that it wasn't just luck. That gave B a lot to think about, head down, licking, blinking and chewing. B has quickly picked up when to canter from my body language..I do a little skipping to mimic the three time beat and we tried some stick to me in a straight line to try for canter. She almost got it but got quite emotional trying. It's a start.

Back to the 22' (which now feels like a bit of limp string) some falling leaf, sideways etc and out of the arena to go saddle up by B's stable. I am really enjoying taking my time saddling up. It's a stark contrast to pre-Parelli days and how most people around me get the job done. B seems to appreciate taking the time it takes. I got on and we just hung for a while before we went for a walk around the yard. 

B took me to the arena! In we went and did some weave and fig 8, then one full pattern of the clover leaf on the left rein in a 1/4 of the school. Lots of resting in between and treats and then we left for another mosey around the yard and back to the courtyard. Unbelievable! Nice bit of approach and retreat. Then I asked B to turn just by following a feel as I lifted the rein and turned my own body. I can tell she isn't used to this despite my gentleness. I can't really explain it well here, but I was watching Pat on Parelli Connect in The Dynamics of Motion. Coupled with trying to be soft and following a feel I am just trying to improve the flow of communication between B and I. She has adapted to being ridden in the hackamore really well but I can feel the brace in her and this was a great opportunity to try to show her another way. 

Ha! Listen to me, anyone would think I knew what I was doing. Me, a horse trainer! Well, maybe I am in a very small way given that I have all Pat and Linda's knowledge to pass on to B and I know what makes my horse less bracy and happier. Empowering stuff, this Parelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment