Saturday 2 April 2011

Canter on the 45' line!


We went to the arena last night to stretch our legs and I took the 45' with us. The yard was quiet as we were the only ones there. Breeze had a graze and I sat watching the sun go down.

Breeze is definitely a difference horse, more relaxed and lighter. She moves at the smallest cue and driving game has become something we do all the time like just walking around the yard or going from stable to field.

I wanted to re-visit canter online again and see how things were. The 45' gave her more drift which meant less pressure so she would have the room to be 'free'. I risked getting rope burn because I didn't have gloves but B only came close to running away once. With all that drift she realised she didn't have to run. I got almost dizzy watching her! For once I didn't trip or get caught up with all that rope.
I really enjoyed how light I can be using it. It made me chuckle to think of how I was four years ago when I started Parelli. The 12' felt like heavy cable. I felt self conscious and clumsy. I constantly tripped over it, got snagged in it and generally felt I would never get the hang of it. Then I started using the 22' and as I got used to that, the 12' began to feel like a bit of string. Interesting to note the 45' now makes the 22' feel like lumpy heavy cable, just like the 12' all those years ago.
The 45' is still no where near supple and 'broken in' but I am going to try and use it more now and get it a little better for Stoneleigh.

3 comments:

  1. Cilla, you are making such wonderful progress together with Breeze. Congratulations also on the comment Susan posted on Parelli Connect which you wrote about in your previous blog post - undoubtedly well deserved.

    See you at the Celebration? It would be great to meet you.

    ~ Beth, Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet I am at the Celebration! Staying at the Hilton. Got my party ticket. Will look out for you, looking at name badges very closely lol or asking 'are you Beth??'. Can't miss me....
    Thank you for the comments. B and I are really having a ball. Never knew it could be this good/fun/mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bet you are having fun this weekend at NEC... yay for the 45ft!! I need another - one for in the float and one for at home!

    ReplyDelete