Saturday 23 April 2011

Huge!


It is 28c today and far, far, far too hot for me! I have been struggling for the whole week really because my body's thermostat no longer works properly and the minute the temperature goes over 20c I suffer. I try to stay cheerful and cool lol. I plugged my iPod in and off we went to the arena while it was empty. Consequently we didn't warm up in the arena for very long, but it was wonderful. I took the 45' in case I needed it but B was playful and totally focused on me on the 22'. We played mirror me and got change of direction in trot and canter!!! Beautiful relaxed circle game in all three gaits and some more z 5 driving. We were so in tune I ended the session there and we got saddled up.

Sandra hadn't appeared at the yard so I took my time saddling up, giving B as much time as she needed. Still no Sandra so I thought I would get on and just see what B wanted to do. I decided B would call the shots and that I would listen to her opinion and focus on our relationship and preserving her dignity.
Breeze, to my surprise and joy, was happy to leave the yard, just as Sandra turned up and we didn't meet any thresholds leaving the yard or going across the road on our own.


Breeze met a few thresholds as we made our way to the top of the old woods. I let her rest and waited each time, making sure she had nothing to brace against. Whenever she turned I politely turned her around and waited for her to carry on. Lots of stroking and scratching and praise and singing! I sung along to whatever tune came up on the random setting. She stopped a few times to eat and I allowed her to do this as much as she liked. We had a great relaxing time in the shade and I was so happy to be out of the sun. We did a lot of fig 8 and circle around some trees when she got particularly sticky. I matched her energy as we walked along. If she got tense, so did I. I swung my arms and moved my upper body to the speed of her step and found this calmed her. I practiced all the eyes, shoulders, navel, knees and toes turning when we weaved or zig zagged. But finally at the top of the old woods B really could not go any further. I knew turning around was the right thing to do by her. This was about respecting her ideas and wishes. It wasn't about going all the way around, time for that another day. I was content to set it up for tomorrow, the next ride and the next.

So we walked along, playing weave around the trees. I was so pleased with us! Calm. Even going home wards B was still quite relaxed and didn't rush. When we got to the exit she hesitated on going past and along the mile and 1/4 but was happy to turn and walk away back the way we came. More eating and then we left the woods and stood in the car park. I could see Sandra and Bert leaving the yard so we waited for them and turned and followed them back into the woods. We turned down the mile and 1/4 for a little way and I allowed B to eat some more. I got the impression Sandra wanted to be alone, she said she was feeling pretty rough, I think there is a stomach bug doing the rounds so said my goodbyes and let B leave the woods. I could feel she didn't want to follow Bert so we headed back to the yard.

We stood on the pedestal then did a couple of circuits around the yard, including the rough ground behind the containers. B was relaxed and happy and I was really comfortable. We have both pushed our comfort zones and it has been a great success. Little by little I feel we are really getting this partnership thing. Is this how it really feels? I hope so, because I like this feeling. Total connection, the two of us thinking as one almost. Taking care of each other, not one getting angry with the other, no arguing and no fear. Almost a year to the day of B coming to me, I am astonished at how far we have come! Just look at us. It makes me laugh and cry. Tears of happiness today.

No comments:

Post a Comment