Sunday 17 April 2011

Foodfest!

Although B was in a better mood today our pre ride play was pretty low key. It was quite hot in the arena and B seemed to need to do nothing in between some nice circle game, fig 8 and sideways. So we hung out and I gave her some time just to be.

When it came to saddling up back in the courtyard I had it in mind to think very carefully about putting B's feelings and wishes first. She was fine with putting the saddle on her back but every time I went to do up the girth she swished her tail. I immediately retreated and then tried again. Pretty soon she stopped swishing and the girth was tightened. B looked at me all the time with great interest and then was so relaxed she almost went to sleep.
She was a little distracted by the chance of food in open sheds when I went to get on. I let her move around and waited until she was ready. No tail swishing there!
One threshold today and then she trotted over the road! We had a great ride. Lots of trotting on a loose rein to begin with. The horses ate lots and were so relaxed it was a pleasure to sit and enjoy the sunshine and peace and quiet. We had chance to have a chat and a laugh. We went off piste and I realised how much the trees have sprouted this Spring by all the branches that bashed me around the head and face lol.We met a few kids by the viaduct that wanted to stroke the horses and I taught them the 'horseman's handshake. This also meant Bert and Sandra went up ahead and we lost sight of them. B stayed calm and we took our time catching up.
For most of the mile and 1/4 Sandra and I chatted while trotting and we were amazed at how fit both us humans and horses are these days. The horses stopped to eat at the last turn but B decided she wanted to go on in front. We headed off leaving Bert and Sandra behind. B seemed pretty confident and even managed to go some way past the exit before she reached a threshold and we turned for home, meeting up with Bert and Sandra to cross the road.

I thought B would like to go for a graze after I had hosed the sweat off her back so we went for a short time and played touch this on the blue barrels. It wasn't long before she wanted to go and relax in her stable. She loves her home comforts does my B.


No comments:

Post a Comment