Wednesday 20 April 2011

Wow!

Boiling hot and sunny in the arena Tuesday morning and although I took the 22', 45' and the featherlight lines I didn't think we would do too much. It's half term and the yard was full of kids but for a while we had the arena to ourselves. Apart from Kes and Pickles loose, stretching their legs. I introduced the featherlight lines for a short while then it was onto the 45' line.

It turns out we were in the arena for a good hour. We walked the clover leaf pattern again and generally had a great time. After reading the Horsenality report again I thought we would have another try at canter. B happily established canter for a few laps so I asked her to go faster just for one lap! Oh boy, instead of exploding B relaxed and I really saw her enjoy moving. This was just fabulous. It being hot tho I made sure B got some cooling off time in walk and some fig 8. We finished the session with some hanging out time and B hung her head and wanted me to rub all over her face, for a long time. It helped to dry the sweat while she processed what had just happened.


Back at her stable I got a wet towel and washed her face and chest. She looked tired and very thoughtful and she wanted me close for a while. I had thought about doing some saddling approach and retreat but it really looked like B needed a rest. So I sat outside on her pedestal and she hung out with me until it was time to go home.

In the evening she gave me a very loud welcome and after her tea we went for a walk in the woods and some grazing time. B was very relaxed and happy. It's a great way to end the day in the very fragrant woods with B eating the lush grass and weeds.

Today we had another lesson with Claire. It was just as hot so B and I went for a walk in the woods before Claire arrived. Which was a nice way to start in the cool shade before the heat of the dusty arena. We had a brief warm up first and this time B was quite LBE and snotty on the circle game. I quite enjoy this side of her horsenality but I made sure I was persistent and she went in the direction I asked for.
Claire suggested we do some z 5 driving. I think I have not been close enough to B, believing I should be as fa away from her as possible. On getting closer we found B is incredibly claustrophobic in z 5! This proved to be quite a challenge for me too. I may be LBI but the minute I am asked to do something my brain goes into hyper drive. When Claire asked me what was going through my mind all I could do was make  a babbling sound and tell her it was like a little person in my head jabbering away uncontrollably. Think Homer Simpson going 'woo woo woo woo woo' in a high pitched voice. We both had a good laugh about this. Welcome to my world!

I had forgotten completely about friendly game just as a starter too so we had to really go back to basics until B could relax with me in z 5. Eventually, it seemed like a long time, I calmed enough to get driving game good but I have to say I found it very stressful and emotional. It's not just that B shows some displacement behaviour and that she is so claustrophobic but I found my own frustration at not getting it 'right' from the beginning, upsetting. I did initially feel there were too many holes in my knowledge but as Claire pointed out later on when our emails were flying to and fro, 'its not that there are holes, only more depth and understanding from each horse we play with. B is doing a great job of keeping you in the moment with her and insisting on taking things step by step and not leap by leap. She couldn't have found a more perfect partner as you truly understand the challenges she will go through. Isn't it interesting how these animals tap into our emotions we thought we hid well'.

When Claire had gone and B and I were back at her stable it was obvious B needed me close again. She licked my hands and the whole of my left arm! She didn't want to eat hay, just be with me. After a while I reluctantly walked her to the field for the rest of the day and went home.

Later on I got another loud welcome but after her tea all B wanted was to eat haylage. I laugh to myself when she is like this. Sandra and I joke about being the room service maids lol. Sometimes it's great to know B is happy and content to be left alone to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment